A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 21st March 2019, 07:29 PM

Default Something not right - puff of smoke (OSF)

I've just seen a puff of smoke emanating from the driver's side front wheel (OSF) whilst waiting in traffic. My brakes aren't red-hot (checked and showing 45C on IR thermometer) and I was wondering if this is due to some seal that goes, inevitably leaking onto one of the front cats? My old A8 used to do this on a regular basis, but I've not experienced it so far in my A8L.

I always thought that it dripped on the nearside cat i.e. passenger-side but this puff of smoke came out of the driver's side wheel area. I'm sure some learned person will be along in a minute to allay my concerns... or tell me it's going to cost more money lol

Cheers all.
Old 21st March 2019, 08:13 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I suppose it could be a number of things but that's how my power steering hose failure started. There was also a strong smell, like burning plastic.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 22nd March 2019, 05:45 PM

Not a coolant leak is it?
Mercedes Benz CLS 500 - Sold
Corsa VXR Nurburgring - Sold
RS6 Avant Grey - Sold
Seat Leon Cupra R - Sold
Old 22nd March 2019, 06:34 PM

Could be cam cover gaskets. There is an oil trap in the rear right hand corner of the right cylinder head so if the gaskets are dried up that corner drips on the exhaust manifold first.

There's also a cam oil seal blank in that same corner, but they don't tend to leak. Or of course the cam tensioner gasket - they can often leak and also drip on to the exhaust manifold.

If it was the gearbox that would usually show from under the car rather than as far forward as the wheels.
Old 22nd March 2019, 08:44 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Doesn’t the rear output seal on the ‘box drip onto the o/s cat? IIRC, I had just that issue some years back.. MJ will know for sure!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 22nd March 2019, 09:00 PM

Yes it does, but that is much further back than the wheel arch and would normally present itself as a bad smell rather than smoke. The description of smoke from the driver's side wheel arch says engine to me since that's typically where the V8 leaks - cylinders 4 and 5. If it were the passenger side I'd suspect power steering since an oil leak would usually drip on the power steering pump on that side, not the manifold.
Old 22nd March 2019, 11:23 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I told you that The Doctor would know!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 23rd March 2019, 04:26 PM

Thanks to all for the invaluable assistance.

I've just returned from Somerset and although I didn't see any puffs of smoke, I did smell something when I parked the car up just now. I'm sure it's not a coolant leak as I've only recently had the aluminium oil cooler union/connection fitted to replace the stupid plastic OEM part that cracks. My old A8 certainly had the issue with fluid dripping on the catalytic converter but this current problem doesn't smell quite the same though.

Some of you may already be aware that I had some rough-starting recently with an O2 sensor code but this hasn't come back to haunt me yet. Lumpy idle is still being experienced for the first 2-3 seconds after starting her up but it settles down to a solid 650rpm or thereabouts.

MJ's comments about cam cover gaskets / cam tensioner gaskets sounds likely -
I will allocate some time this week to pop down and see DS Autowerks in Crawley.