A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 18th March 2019, 10:20 PM

Default S8 idling 'lumpy'

Hi all, this is a bit of a long shot but thought I would ask.

My first real problem has arisen.

Have now done almost 4k miles in the s8, almost all motorway, lovely and smooth but about 400 miles ago I could feel that it was slightly
'Hunting' when cruising at a steady modest speed of say 60/70.. it was barely noticable though.

This morning as I was 10 mile from the end of my weekly 70 mile commute I heard a sound which could best be described as "ppffst" and it the started running really lumpy.

I managed to make the final 10 miles in stop start traffic and it didn't cut out.

Have gone back to it tonight and it started first time, no worries and revs fine, no funny sounds.

Question is this, as I say I know its a long shot but, what are thoughts on a slow 70 drive to get to the garage as I don't know any where I am presently parked up..

Any advice appreciated.

- e9 csl 1972, fully restored, silly bits to finish

- 2002tii 1972, 'bought by accident' and work in progress

- toyota hiace camper, just repainted in gulf racing colours and now getting used

- honda c90 custom cub, ' bought by accident'....there seems to be a them here..!

(Not so) Recently departed:

- very sadly sold to fund the e9....BMW e28 m535 white 1986, owned 12 years, I loved that car.
- red mk1 vw golf gti, fully sorted: resprayed, flash red, mk2 1800 16v conversion, uprated brakes, shocks, leather interior,
- 1986 Saab 900 turbo convertible sold to get Audi on 'one out, one in' rule imposed by missus...not really adhering to the rule at the moment as can be seen..!
Old 19th March 2019, 10:56 AM

Hmmm initially I thought crap fuel but then after reading the whole post, with a pffst maybe a vac hose

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 19th March 2019, 11:07 AM

I am thinking a hose too.

Would be under load at 70, not so much in the crawl.

The air sound you describe would indicate something is not sealed or has a hole somewhere. It doesn't take much, might not be easily visible but a tiny hole will rob you of power.
Old 19th March 2019, 11:19 AM

There's a bung on the front of the inlet manifold just above the flap actuators which blocks off a large vacuum port. That can perish and disintegrate and then allows unmetered air in to the manifold which then makes the engine run very lean.

Maybe pop the covers off and listen for anything hissing?

Do you have the ECU light on per your other thread? Have you scanned it yet?
Old 20th March 2019, 01:04 PM

Thanks All, sounds like it wont harm it to much (other than petrol consumption..!) if I drive back so will take the chance.....

- e9 csl 1972, fully restored, silly bits to finish

- 2002tii 1972, 'bought by accident' and work in progress

- toyota hiace camper, just repainted in gulf racing colours and now getting used

- honda c90 custom cub, ' bought by accident'....there seems to be a them here..!

(Not so) Recently departed:

- very sadly sold to fund the e9....BMW e28 m535 white 1986, owned 12 years, I loved that car.
- red mk1 vw golf gti, fully sorted: resprayed, flash red, mk2 1800 16v conversion, uprated brakes, shocks, leather interior,
- 1986 Saab 900 turbo convertible sold to get Audi on 'one out, one in' rule imposed by missus...not really adhering to the rule at the moment as can be seen..!
Old 24th March 2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
There's a bung on the front of the inlet manifold just above the flap actuators which blocks off a large vacuum port. That can perish and disintegrate and then allows unmetered air in to the manifold which then makes the engine run very lean.

Maybe pop the covers off and listen for anything hissing?

Do you have the ECU light on per your other thread? Have you scanned it yet?
any pictures of said bung? I had a look today but couldn't see it nor anywhere missing one