A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 16th October 2016, 11:53 AM

Default Scuttle drains again!

I've had my suspicions for a while, but it's been dry for ages. But last night it poured down so I had a look this morning. Scuttle full of water!
Syphoned off as much as I could but now I need to get them free flowing again.

I've tried various methods in the past, mostly hot water with various detergents. But what do people recommend?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 16th October 2016, 12:50 PM

Just for the record, this time I used very hot water (near-boiling) and cheap leftover laundry powder (Aldi I think, inherited from my in-laws). After a bit of a soak it ran through on the drivers side.
I'll keep topping up to see if I can get the nearside to clear too.

The clue I got was debris (tiny seeds etc. coming out of the dashboard vents when starting the car), That shouldn't get there through the air filters so suggests overflow from elsewhere, e.g. scuttle.
No sloshing yet, so maybe it hasn't hit the aircon drains. Fingers crossed.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 16th October 2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 17th October 2016, 09:40 PM

I am sure someone on here used drain cleaner but isnt this a bit too caustic? Even detergent is pretty stongly caustic in high concentrations.
Old 18th October 2016, 08:45 AM

I've only ever had this happen early on in my ownership of the car - I pressure washed the underside with a 90 degree angled attachment on my jetwash designed for the job and I've never had a repeat. It would certainly be worth a try as if you're working from up top you can clean the lines but by the time it gets to the exit end it might not be as effective?

This is what it looks like:

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 18th October 2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
The clue I got was debris (tiny seeds etc. coming out of the dashboard vents when starting the car), That shouldn't get there through the air filters so suggests overflow from elsewhere, e.g. scuttle.
The tiny seeds have started appearing on the outside of the car and I've tracked down the source! It's a silver birch tree, the other side of the house, some distance away but South-West so in line with prevailing winds.

But how are the little devils getting into the ventilation system? All the filters and seals look fine, indeed there are none of these on the filters.
Old 18th October 2016, 02:13 PM

Silver birch gets EVERYWHERE! I have one in the garden and the seeds get into the house as they are blown through the tiniest gaps ---- and they are the No1 culprit in my cars for blocking drains, scuttles and getting into the carpets. I have every confidence that evolution has equipped them for growing in car ventilation systems.
Old 19th May 2017, 03:25 PM

It's like painting the Forth Bridge used to be!
Heavy rain yesterday, lots of blossom falling off various plants/trees/creepers so as I had some nice new pollen filters to fit I checked the scuttle drains while the bonnet was open.

Fairly high but not quite overflowing, so I got my drain tube syphon out of the boot and set to.
Next, boiling water and old-school washing powder.....

Edit: Not progressing well, may need the nuclear option tomorrow - drain cleaner!

Last edited by HPsauce; 19th May 2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 20th May 2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Not progressing well
Now the weather is against me, heavy showers are topping up the scuttle faster than it's draining away.
Only trickling through; I need it to get pretty empty before adding anything "seriously active" and that seems impossible with the current weather, so I've given up and covered the windscreen and wiper area with a sheet of plastic to stop any more running in.

Which made me think - why not get a windscreen cover to keep everything out, ideally one that is easy to fix/remove. And maybe even a full car cover for longer periods of inactivity. Does anyone have any recommendations for either?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	16116  
Old 20th May 2017, 02:21 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Which made me think - why not get a windscreen cover to keep everything out, ideally one that is easy to fix/remove. And maybe even a full car cover for longer periods of inactivity. Does anyone have any recommendations for either?
I have a big silver stretchy pull-over cover that I sometimes use (usually prior to a meet after I've spent a week cleaning and polishing the damn thing!). They're fairly quick to fit, but I wouldn't want to have to take it on and off frequently. I've considered building some sort of car port a few times, like David's.

You've got me thinking though ....

I starting thinking, I wonder if it would be possible to buy/make some sort of quick-erect cover, like some kind of car brolly that you can put up/down very quickly, perhaps even with the press of a button. Then I did some searching ...

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...721696830.html

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...423325934.html

https://www.banggood.com/Mynew-Porta...p-1111640.html

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...38890.html?s=p

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...35479.html?s=p

I had no idea these things existed. I need to get me one!
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 20th May 2017, 02:46 PM

I've been thinking about car covers for ages, so much so that I have a number of options saved in my Amazon "Shopping List".

Just bitten the bullet and ordered both a full cover and windscreen cover.