D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 20th May 2017, 08:23 PM

Which cover did you buy andrew?
Mercedes Benz CLS 500 - Sold
Corsa VXR Nurburgring - Sold
RS6 Avant Grey - Sold
Seat Leon Cupra R - Sold
Old 20th May 2017, 08:54 PM

This one, which I identified a fair while back. Hope it's OK, I'll report back when it arrives. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audi-Extra-.../dp/B0064AEWWC
I think the description ands picture are somewhat at odds which is why they're not sold; worth a punt as you can always send them back.
(Windscreen cover I bought a cheap one for under a tenner.)

Edit: Main cover arrived, seems to be a silvery waterproof surface with soft backing, haven't unpacked it yet to check it fits.
The windscreen cover is the main one I need short-term and that's still on its way.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 23rd May 2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 21st May 2017, 12:01 PM

Progress at last! I thought I'd learned my lesson before.

I managed to manipulate a length of thin plastic tubing roughly into the area marked in red on the attached diagram, i.e. under the cabin air intake and close to the holes in the tray that lead out to the forked outlet duct (26 on diagram) and one-way rubber exit valves.

Kept topping up with hot water and detergent, blowing to agitate then syphoning mucky water and debris out. Then I added a dishwasher tablet dissolved in a small jug of boiling water and soon after - whoosh it cleared.

Can't tell where the block was or whether only one side of the duct is now free, but I'll keep flushing it out even more regularly now. And throwing in the odd dishwasher tablet too.
From the way the natural drip rate through the drains reduced as the water level dropped to just above the bottom of the tray, my suspicion is that debris was building up around and over those twin holes at the bottom of the scuttle tray, so hopefully it's all cleaned out now. If the blockage had been at the rubber valves it would have drained much lower overnight.

Also I've cable-tied the tube roughly in place and coiled the free end up on top of the ECU box (out of the way of the pollen filter) for future emergency use as a syphon.
And if those holes are the main obstruction point an occasional brief squirt in from the side with a jet wash might help keep them clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowldrains.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	16117  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 21st May 2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 21st May 2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
my suspicion is that debris was building up around and over those twin holes at the bottom of the scuttle tray
The more I look at the diagram and around the various obstructions at that tray the more I'm convinced it's the heart of problem.
There are so many ways for large debris, even leaves, to find their way into that area. And the nearly flat base, with two smallish holes, gives an ideal place for gunge to build up.
And most of my flooding problems over the years have been traceable back to an overflowing scuttle tray.
As noted above, there's just about enough access from the drivers side, past the brake servo, to get a jet wash nozzle close enough to give it a blast!

I might try that next time, but DEFINITELY cover up the ECU box first with a thick plastic sheet.

Last edited by HPsauce; 21st May 2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 24th May 2017, 10:31 AM

The windscreen cover arrived today, from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MRQSSL8 Price has dropped since I ordered mine.
Fits OK, elastic strips hook onto all 4 wheels. Looks like it will do the job. You can see the crud that has landed in a short time since I fitted it.
Note that the shape is not exactly as illustrated on Amazon, mine is squarer at the front corners; not a problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ScreenCover.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	16140  

Last edited by HPsauce; 24th May 2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 1st June 2017, 02:18 PM

And after a quick pre-meet clean I fitted the full cover. It's not entirely clear which is front/back but this fits OK:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FullCover.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	16206  
Old 1st June 2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
And after a quick pre-meet clean I fitted the full cover. It's not entirely clear which is front/back but this fits OK:
But how will you see where you're going, if you want to keep it clean?

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 1st June 2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
But how will you see where you're going, if you want to keep it clean?
Something like this maybe?
Old 1st June 2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Something like this maybe?
Good idea, but a bit expensive adding that to a ferry crossing. I should have got a cover as I finally finished cleaning mine yesterday, and it's been raining for the past 8 hours or so. Just as well I took a photo of it when it was clean

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 1st June 2017, 03:30 PM

Well, after snowfoaming, rinsing, hand washing, claying, washing again and then applying a coat of Poorboys Black Hole Glaze I walked to the rear of the car to admire my handiwork before applying a coat of wax and there, on the bootlid, not more than 20 mins old, glistening in the sun was a large sh!tehawk sh!t I needed the polisher to get the mark out and re-glazed. So, after getting a coat of wax on I doubled up on protection and put the cover on AND put the car in the car port.
The cover - being the point - of this story is an Aldi one coming in several sizes. XL is for an A8. It got just a belly band and relies on staying on front and rear by the elastic around the edge so I'm not sure how thatll stand up to the wind. There is an aerial slit in the middle of the rear car roof so whilst that is not much good for an S8 it fits over the stubby OK. It was £9.99 but as with all Aldi stuff, when its gone its gone and I got this last Oct/Nov.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0460.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	599.8 KB
ID:	16207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0461.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	648.0 KB
ID:	16208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0463.jpg
Views:	206