A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 20th November 2016, 03:05 PM

Default V10 broken manifold flaps

Hi fellow V10 drivers. Has anyone got a set of broken manifold flaps or his old manifold with broken flaps still inside as a whole? I want to make new flaps (not purchase able separately) so people can buy these at cost price. I have a rattle in the engine and I'm quite sure it is the flaps being broken as they all do eventually. Don't want to strip the manifold as I need the car daily. Let's help each other!
Old 20th November 2016, 03:31 PM

HI
They are not available anymore and if you carry on driving with broken ones you risking engine damage so I would get on top of it as soon as possible.
Good luck

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 20th November 2016, 03:31 PM

I think if you have broken flaps your first and foremost priority is getting them out of there before you suck it down the inlet and wreck the engine.

Old 20th November 2016, 03:53 PM

The idea is that I will replicate the flaps so if somebody van send me his broken ones that would be great.

I thought the flaps either stay in place but don't move along with the rest anymore or they break off completely but are too large to get sucked into the runners?? Getting a little concerned now. There's a small rattle at only a very specific low rpm.

Nevertheless I am able to make a high durability replacement part so somebody send me his broken but complete flaps. Is left and right bank flap identical? Also regarding the connection orientation/angle?