A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 5th October 2018, 10:13 AM

Default 17746 camshaft position sensor G40

just been running the VCDS lite , while sorting out the brakes thought I might as well check a few other things

running the engine tests got this fault described as open or short to plus P1338 - 35-00

engine seems to run fine so what does it mean ??? is it important ?
Old 5th October 2018, 10:28 AM

Is the CEL on? I would expect it would be for something like that.

As there are two, the ECU is probably using the other one to interpolate cam timing for both banks so it will still run. It won't be using the variable cam timing though since it won't have a feedback mechanism for it.
Old 5th October 2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Is the CEL on? I would expect it would be for something like that.

As there are two, the ECU is probably using the other one to interpolate cam timing for both banks so it will still run. It won't be using the variable cam timing though since it won't have a feedback mechanism for it.
tks mikki

no , no engine light [ presume that's what CEL means ]
didn't know the D2 5v engine had separate cam timing for each bank
can I safely just leave it as is ? does it mean an ECU renewal to fix it ? sounds expensive to me !
Old 5th October 2018, 05:22 PM

Exhaust cam timing is fixed, but it can vary the inlet cam timing using the tensioner.

Surprised the light isn't on actually. Its simple enough to change the sensors though and they're not expensive. G40 I think is the right hand bank (check though!). You can get to it by removing the air intake pipe between the filter box and throttle body.

Edit - mixing up sides G40 is on the front of the right hand bank. Easy enough to get to if you remove the top bit of the timing belt cover Number is 058905161B, used on loads of stuff.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 5th October 2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 6th October 2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Exhaust cam timing is fixed, but it can vary the inlet cam timing using the tensioner.

Surprised the light isn't on actually. Its simple enough to change the sensors though and they're not expensive. G40 I think is the right hand bank (check though!). You can get to it by removing the air intake pipe between the filter box and throttle body.

Edit - mixing up sides G40 is on the front of the right hand bank. Easy enough to get to if you remove the top bit of the timing belt cover Number is 058905161B, used on loads of stuff.
tks again mikki

will put it on my to do list ....is it my imagination or is there always a to do list on a D2 ? logical on an 18 year old car I suppose !

incidentally mikki , in the audiklub instructions about the 40v engine it says that if the G40 fails the 163 in the other bank will generate a signal to replace it......presumably that means that if the 163 fails the G40 can't reciprocate !

Last edited by lebesset; 6th October 2018 at 11:18 AM. Reason: addendum
Old 6th October 2018, 07:45 PM

Interesting. I would expect it would also run from G40 on its own. The inline engines with just a single sensor have G40 so I think that one is the primary for Motronic. I might give it a try and see how it behaves. Simple enough to unplug G163 and reset any codes it throws up.
Old 7th October 2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I would expect it would also run from G40 on its own. The inline engines with just a single sensor have G40 so I think that one is the primary for Motronic. I might give it a try and see how it behaves. Simple enough to unplug G163 and reset any codes it throws up.
look forward to seeing the result of your test if and when you get round to it !

incidentally , you don't happen to know offhand the part number of the G163 ? am having trouble to identifying it here in france.... in case I ever need it
Old 7th October 2018, 07:08 PM

Same as the G40, up there ^^. They're both the same part
Old 16th November 2018, 02:45 PM

well , got round to ordering the G40
being a tyro I have no idea where the top of the timing belt cover is !!
presumably I have to take the cover off the engine and the timing belt cover is right there in view on the uk drivers side
tried to find a picture but no luck !
Old 16th November 2018, 04:10 PM

Behind this cover:

You'll need a T30 Torx bit to remove the sensor. Torque is 10Nm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g40camsensor.jpg
Views:	1153
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	20442