A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 27th December 2018, 03:56 PM

Default White smoke?

Any idea what could be causing this? 2.8, no loss of coolant or oil. Smokes sometimes, sometimes its absolutely fine.
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 20181225_094337.mp4 (9.55 MB, 301 views)
Old 27th December 2018, 04:02 PM

Looks like water vapour - hot engine on a cold day, with a cold exhaust. Water vapour from combustion condenses in the cold exhaust and comes out as a visible cloud. Its also quite common after a short journey since the condensation sits in the exhaust after the engine is stopped, then blows out on the next start-up. It'll normally go away after the exhaust warms up.
Old 27th December 2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Looks like water vapour - hot engine on a cold day, with a cold exhaust. Water vapour from combustion condenses in the cold exhaust and comes out as a visible cloud. Its also quite common after a short journey since the condensation sits in the exhaust after the engine is stopped, then blows out on the next start-up. It'll normally go away after the exhaust warms up.
That's what I was thinking but asking as sometimes it is proper cloud even after car is all upto temperature. Didn't know if there is any known issues or anything.

Will be doing major service once winter is over anyways so hopefully that will sort her out
Old 27th December 2018, 04:51 PM

Its common for them to make a bit of a cloud on startup if parked nose-down too. Mine does it even with a brand new engine as it usually sits on the ramp in to the workshop.
Old 27th December 2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Its common for them to make a bit of a cloud on startup if parked nose-down too. Mine does it even with a brand new engine as it usually sits on the ramp in to the workshop.
This is after car has warmed up and had a good motorway run on Tuesday too. I guess I'll stop worrying if there is no coolant/oil loss.
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 20181227_180304.mp4 (13.32 MB, 275 views)