A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 16th January 2019, 04:13 PM

CPS's on the D3 seem to inhibit start in the same way when the car has warmed up only, before they eventually fail completely so I'd agree that it could be that

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 16th January 2019, 10:41 PM

Had fun last night - went out for fish & chips, car turned over for longer than normal for trip home, but started.
After getting back home and consuming said dinner, I needed to get the rubbish bins with the trailer (100m long 1 in 4 driveway and 3 bins to collect - you'd use a trailer too!). Car wouldn't start.
Took an hour and a half of cooling down to finally start, but it did give me the opportunity to test out MJs theory.
The tacho did indeed show no revs when it wouldn't start. But when it did start, it showed about 200-300 on the starter motor.

So definately CPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
If I send you a plastic bucket would you return it with a sample in it?
Australia Post doesnt like sending 38°, they say it's too fragile in transit and wont arrive in the same condition it left - something to do with the second law of thermodynamics they reckon...
I have a theory that 38° can't exist at that latitude.
Fortunately, you can simulate the effect of 38° with an oven - set to gas mark 4, allow to heat for 10 minutes, then stand in front while you open the door

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 16th January 2019, 11:21 PM

Oh dear, another plan bites the dust!!!

Engineer visited today to carry out our annual boiler service, just in time for the cold snap.
Nice and toasty in our house, but the poor old A8 has to sit outside and freeze.
But then my remote heater mod works wonders.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 10th February 2019, 10:01 PM

Replaced CAS/CPS last week. Fixed the problem, car now starts normally in all conditions.

Part arrived just in time, as S8 was giving trouble starting in all conditions. Seemed ok once started though, but I didn't trust it, so we were effectively down to 1 car!

Replacement was dead easy (on my mates hoist).
The hoist removes all access dramas and I was able to get at the sensor by simply removing the near side front wheel.
The level sensor was in line with the path of the ratchet extension, but my long extension has a partial wobble end on it, so I was able to extract the socket head bolt without any issues.

Thanks for the tips MJ!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)