A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 14th January 2019, 03:19 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle
Default Bonnet release lever

I know it's not strictly under the bonnet, but I couldn't find a better category.

My bonnet release cable keeps slipping out of the little clip that holds the outer cable whilst the inner one is pulled to open the bonnet. The clip is attached to the lever underneath the dash. I suspect that the clip is broken (it looks like the end of it has a couple of bits broken) but I'm not sure. I've taken photos (attached) and wondered if anyone could confirm that it's broken (if you have one handy to compare it with, that might be helpful) and let me know if I can but a replacement clip.

If it's not broken, any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2144[1].jpg
Views:	241
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	20683   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2143[1].jpg
Views:	238
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	20684   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2142[1].jpg
Views:	229
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	20685   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2141[1].jpg
Views:	243
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	20686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2140[1].jpg
Views:	242
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	20687  
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 14th January 2019, 05:40 PM

I'm pretty sure that clip should have a return on it to hold the cable. It does look like its broken off. There's no listing for the clip in Etka so it looks like it was never available as a spare part, even when there were still spare parts available.

I see a call to A8parts in your future
Old 14th January 2019, 07:41 PM

Thanks MJ.
I found a couple of release levers on ebay and, you’re right, the clip has a return on it. I’ll call our sponsors tomorrow!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 14th January 2019, 08:39 PM

Is there a diagram on here somewhere (or photo) to show how the cable fits into the clip?
Old 14th January 2019, 08:52 PM

It just pushes in to the clip from the front of the car. It'll be obvious when you see the replacement. If not, I can grab a pic at the weekend.
Old 18th January 2019, 10:31 AM

Well, as always, our sponsors came to the rescue and the replacement clip was with me the next day.

As the photos show, quite a lot had broken off, so it's no wonder the release cable came undone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2145[1].jpg
Views:	251
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	20734   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2146[1].jpg
Views:	237
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	20735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E2144[1].JPG
Views:	235
Size:	676.5 KB
ID:	20736