A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 27th February 2019, 07:27 PM

Default regular or longlife service?

Hi guys, service is coming up. Looked at tech dump, service manual and it mentions longlife service. Usually I am not a fan of this, but will be moving soon and will consequently doing 25000 miles a year, so long life would work better financially and wouldn't have to do a service every months

Want to see what is peoples opinion and experience with this? and might sound silly..is there a long life oil filter?

Car is 2.8.

Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 08:21 PM

My first D2 was on longlife servicing from new so it had only just had its 4th service when I got it at 80K. I kept it on longlife as I did about 40K a year so that was 2 oil services a year at 18K miles each. It made it to 200K before the gearbox blew up but the engine was still perfect. Funny really, I wouldn't even consider running a V8 to that mileage now without doing the cam chain tensioners, but my 3.7 never rattled its whole life. I wish I kept it

I believe its feasible on a petrol engine which spends most of its life on the motorway. The computer decides the change interval based on driving style and the soot level which it reads from the sensor in the sump. I don't run any of mine on longlife now because they only do 5K a year and its trivial for me to change it annually.

There is no special filter for it. Just the standard one.

Rather bizarrely, Audi tried longlife servicing on diesel engines too. That gave the engines a very short life indeed since after 18K the oil was like liquid sandpaper. Most of the 2.5TDIs committed suicide well under 200K, and good riddance to them The PD engines had a good go at it too. My 1.9TDI A6 has had 10K changes for many years and is over 250K.
Old 27th February 2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
My first D2 was on longlife servicing from new so it had only just had its 4th service when I got it at 80K. I kept it on longlife as I did about 40K a year so that was 2 oil services a year at 18K miles each. It made it to 200K before the gearbox blew up but the engine was still perfect. Funny really, I wouldn't even consider running a V8 to that mileage now without doing the cam chain tensioners, but my 3.7 never rattled its whole life. I wish I kept it

I believe its feasible on a petrol engine which spends most of its life on the motorway. The computer decides the change interval based on driving style and the soot level which it reads from the sensor in the sump. I don't run any of mine on longlife now because they only do 5K a year and its trivial for me to change it annually.

There is no special filter for it. Just the standard one.

Rather bizarrely, Audi tried longlife servicing on diesel engines too. That gave the engines a very short life indeed since after 18K the oil was like liquid sandpaper. Most of the 2.5TDIs committed suicide well under 200K, and good riddance to them The PD engines had a good go at it too. My 1.9TDI A6 has had 10K changes for many years and is over 250K.
There is a reason I chose 2.8 V6 instead of 4.2 V8

What you said does give me a little bit more confidence in going on longlife, for some reason I've always been sceptical and always kept to yearly or 5K service intervals.

What grade did you use? Would any Audi spec longlife oil do?

Diesels are a special breed of cars, they need different level of care haha
Old 27th February 2019, 09:00 PM

My first one ran on Mobil 1 most of the time. These days I use Quantum Longlife III 5w30 from TPS.

The cam chain tensioner in the V6 is almost identical to the V8 btw. Same plastic pads for the chain. Same mode of failure.
Old 27th February 2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
My first one ran on Mobil 1 most of the time. These days I use Quantum Longlife III 5w30 from TPS.

The cam chain tensioner in the V6 is almost identical to the V8 btw. Same plastic pads for the chain. Same mode of failure.
That's what I'll go for then.

Any symptoms prior to failure?

Last edited by hunker7; 27th February 2019 at 09:39 PM.