A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 10th April 2019, 10:46 AM

Ricky there was a Swedish RS8 on the forum (with RS6 4.2 engine), he used it mainly for racing.
There are youtube videos of it in that thread.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9132&page=4
Old 10th April 2019, 11:36 AM

That also caught fire! Thats actually the one I was referring to when I mentioned heat management and packaging issues. The lengths to which he has had to go to stop it melting itself say 'not worth it' to me. The fire was caused by the heat from the turbos melting one of the camshaft end-caps so it fell out and poured oil on the turbo

The turbos on the 2.7TT are in the same place, but since its a physically smaller engine I'm hoping there will be more airflow in to the engine bay so it will stay cooler. I'm likely still going to either wrap the turbos or make heat shields for them.
Old 10th April 2019, 11:59 AM

That one burned down too? That is a real shame. Its amazing to see what people can do so I hope to see more unusual D2 conversions.

That's why I am scared of turbos and to some extent superchargers. All the extra components means more things to go wrong and more tweaking and solving to be done.

Also, life is short, I have driven D2s for 11 years now, whilst I'll never sell it, for my next car I want to try something different. C63 6.2 is high on my list, a lovely big German NA V8. Shame its not manual but you cant have everything.
Old 10th April 2019, 12:10 PM

The RS8 survived and he rebuilt it, but it highlights some of the potential challenges. Its one of the reasons I think the 4.0TFSI would work well, subject to the downpipes clearing the firewall. With the turbos in the V it not only makes the engine much more compact (so better airflow) but it is designed with heat management in mind.

Superchargers are much simpler overall for a small power increase but need a lot more fabrication so it depends what the goals and budget are really.

How fast can you afford to go?

You're right though - at some point it makes more sense to buy an AMG Black series!
Old 10th April 2019, 06:46 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

I've had an S8 with a theoretical 400 BHP! Great torque. Not too difficult. About 2 days work including testing.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 10th April 2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan_the_librarian View Post
i've had an s8 with a theoretical 400 bhp! Great torque. Not too difficult. About 2 days work including testing.
n2o?

Damn auto correct does not let me write NOS or N2O on it's own in capitals.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 10th April 2019 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Damn auto correct does not let me write NOS or N2O on it's own in capitals.
Old 10th April 2019, 09:23 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Indeed NOS. Never got to push the envelope. Must get back into it. I've still got all the kit in a box in the garage...........

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 11th April 2019, 10:11 AM

I too wondered about LS's.
They're pretty cheap and readily available here, as they were fitted to local Commodores (Both LS1 and LS3), and from next year we'll see them back in the Camaro.

There's loads of aftermarket performance products for them including several different supercharger kits for well over 700hp (LS3).

But making them fit is an issue. And in stock form without any mods, they're not much more powerful than a 4.2 S8 engine (LS3 6.0 - 270kW), though the torque is quite something (LS3 6.0 - 530Nm). But it's taken them 6.0L to get there, so they should have a lot of torque!

The Coyote 5.0 is a cooler engine, with specific outputs matching those of the S8 4.2, and they can be supercharged too. But they're more expensive and quite large - I'm pretty sure they won't fit in a D2 engine bay!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 11th April 2019, 11:12 AM

I would really like to see someone do a LS into a D2 conversion, keeping the 01E or perhaps with the newer better 0A3 from B7. The torque is the fun part. I can tell you the stock D2 with a manual trans lacks low down torque in some gears, especially 2nd gear. In normal driving you want to change from 1st to 2nd around 2000rpm or less, then 2nd drops to around 1000rpm which is a bit low for decent torque.
Less weight also = better performance, and its interesting that LS3 weighs less than a AVP engine, so by converting it you are saving weight up front too.
Although the engine may be even more forward than stock.

People have swapped LS engines into all sorts of cars, Porsches, MX5s, BMWs, Nissans, etc. It seems to be one of the most popular engine swaps. It must be for good reasons, light weight, small pushrod engine package size, very good hp and torque. Simplicity, reliability.
Porsche swaps especially tell me something about the quality of these engines, Porsche is still quite a premium brand, for guys to be happy to swap a 'crude' pushrod engine into older Porsches is really saying something about the reliability of older Porsche engines vs the LS engines.

Although pricey, some of those Katech LS3 engines put out nearly as much torque and HP as a C5 RS6 twin turbo 4.2 for much less weight and complication.

Last edited by Goran; 11th April 2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11th April 2019, 12:25 PM

LS3 swapped Jag, looks amazing!

http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/04/...ft-perfection/