A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 12th February 2012, 11:10 AM

Last time I compared all three was when Audi flew me out to Munich. The interior in the BMW & Audi, exactly the same quality. The Merc CLS, let's just say its cruise control lever thing felt like a lollipop stick, the Jag XF was equally as bad with fake metal door handles that were actually plastic. Even so, BMW are the class leaders with the best engines and handling you cannot beat. In every UK group test I've read they come out # 1, the new A6 was third after BMW and Jag and only in front of the Infiniti.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 12th February 2012, 11:28 AM

A bit off topic but I'm not just talking about build or trim quality I'm also talking about it feeling like a special place to be - many BMW's look great, some even look wonderful but nearly all don't make you feel like you're special when you're sat inside them, and thats where people spend most of their time with their car!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 12th February 2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
BMW are the class leaders with the best engines and handling you cannot beat. In every UK group test I've read they come out # 1, the new A6 was third after BMW and Jag and only in front of the Infiniti.
That's odd - here's what auto express say on the latest A6's on their test comparison -
"The previous-generation Audi A6 was an also-ran - not so the new one, which is Auto Express's favourite executive car. Why? Because it's a better all-rounder than the BMW 5 Series, Mercedes E-Class and Jaguar XF, thanks to some extremely efficient diesel engines, a composed and relaxing driving experience and a high quality cabin with lots of Space"

In fact here's one test the Audi won -
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...vs_rivals.html
And here's another -
And a third -

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 12th February 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12th February 2012, 03:38 PM

First of all, nought wrong with the Merc at all - think I said before, this is almost identical spec (even colour combo!) as my father's car, which is a lovely lovely drive, and nothing wrong with the seats (I am 6'1 and 18 stone, I find bad seats very easily), great choice IMHO, I'd definitely by one. I'll be driving my father's car down to Monaco in May, and back again, it'll be taking 4 adults and our luggage for 2 weeks or so, so will report back on that later, but I expect it to handle it exceptionally.

I still think Audi interiors feel the most special though.

As for BMWs, they probably head the field for handling and efficiency (and this is partly why I might still go back to BMW), but the cabins are nowhere near as special.

Compare the quality of the leather for example, the standard leather on 3s and 5s is pretty nasty, hard, almost not like leather (the Merc is not so great either IMO), no comparison with the softer leather of the Audis.
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 19th February 2012, 05:44 PM

Well I answered a couple of questions about the Merc today.

Performance? Yes - 14.67 secs 1/4 mile today at Santa Pod
Economy? Yes - drove it sensibly kept pace with the traffic on the M1 and had 50mpg on the trip computer for the journey home.

Now I have a baseline, I'll fit the tuning box I have bought for it next weekend.
Old 29th February 2012, 09:25 PM

We have a Merc, a BMW and the S8 at home and I must say I really don't agree that the BMW interior is not excellent - the Audi is the better finish by a smidgeon to my beloved X5 4.8iS, which has soft special order leather seats and about 20x the number of toys of the Audi, including a much-treasured Webasto parking heater, a rarity on their petrol models and a pricey optional extra when new. Interior finish is comfortable and classy as I would expect on a car that cost almost as much as the S8 when new. I absolutely love driving it and the BMW V8 which I think is an Alpina derivative is awesome.

The two Mercs at home - an A class and an original (best!) shape SLK by comparison to the BMW and Audi are pretty boring, plasticky and crappy,the leather nowhere near the quality of the other two, but the SLK has redeeming features in that its such a happy car to drive, always brings a smile!! The A class is just a runaround mostly for our ancient Border Collie to take trips out, as its easier for her to heave into the flattened boot (have put the rear seat up) but its boring as hell not to mention slooooooow and I can't quite see why anyone would pay nearly £20K for them new nowadays!!!

I'd have another BMW anyday - great dealer service compared to the gitz at Audi and Merc dealers! My X5 is only main dealer serviced and repaired and I've continued the BMW warranty.

Given the dramas in getting these 8s repaired and serviced, I might just throw in the towel at the next major problem and stay with BMW........have owned the same S8 since 2004 and hope she'll be ok for a few years yet and have yet to see the same interior quality in ANY car. My old Range Rover interior was utter poo compared to the Audis as well, and that also wasn't a cheap car new.
Old 1st March 2012, 01:20 PM

Default BMW merc audi

I think in the 90s merc lost their way a little and BMW stole the show...but in the late 90 and early part of the noughtys I would say Audi came on really strong with their engines, interior quality (just compare a b6 a4 to a e46)...but now I think between the two there isnt much difference in terms of interior and mercs are getting better...in terms of diesels and drive BMW really do lead the way and the only thing they are missing is four wheel drive in their saloon cars....which is what I m waiting for....

But I truly doubt there will be anything to compare against the sound and power of a v8 Quattro....!!! Especially at today's prices!!!!
01 Audi a8 fl sport - Grey, Bose, Glass Sunroof, S8 grill/mirror covers/wheels, Aftermarket Exhaust, very quick and lots of fun!!!!!....well I gave it one final push on the pedal to hear that v8 growl and then it was off to a new home.....
99 Audi a8 fl - Silver, Black alcantara seat/ S8 grill/side mirror, MFSW, Solar Sunroof, 17" Monoblocks (for that extra cushion of air), Rnsc, Bose.....great motorway cruiser....now gone to a new home
02 Final Edition S8 - Avus Silver, Extended Leather Pack III, Front & Rear Heated Seats, Servo, Blinds, Rear Seat Entairtainment with Playstation, Bose, Bi Xenons.....now gone to a new home
97 PF A8 4.2 quattro sport - Cashmere Grey, Servo, RNS E, Blinds, Bose, 20 Final Edition Alloys, LPG....sold sadly and will be missed
03 S4 V8 Saloon - Misano red, Manual, Milltek, Bose, Xenons, RNS E - Sold as of Feb 2012