A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 8th February 2012, 06:17 PM

Photos/Specs/Info on the 55 AMG please, the guy who bought my and Ian's ex A8/S8 hybrid upgraded to the same car, what is so great about these cars that are making D2 owners change? I did consider an E55 AMG before I started searching for an RS 6, but the insurance was £1k more and I heard they had problems putting the power down in even damp conditions. Would love to own one someday, not sure I will though. If that makes sense.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 8th February 2012, 07:49 PM

SL55 AMG. Awesome awesome machine.

Wanted one for years.
Old 9th February 2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
If its any consolation, I had an S8 that I took my private plate off and on twice before I actually sold it....!
Ha ha, there's always someone worse off I guess

Yeah baby!!

2002 Aqua Blue S8 with Milltek - Now sold

SL55 AMG Silver with designo red leather and 20" Carlsson 1/16 Utlralight Wheels
Old 9th February 2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
I know you haven't seen mine and it's fairly lowly factory spec being a Final Edition, but does have the modern updates which lift it over many in spec terms, at least for me anyway!

I've had mine over a year now and I paid under £8k when it only had 40k on the clock - that was from a dealer too. The previous owner had spent similar sums of money maintaining mine (£7k spent in 9 months!) including a cambelt service and front brakes. I did buy in the run up to Xmas and the car had been advertised at just under £10k, but I think the dealer was getting nervous when nobody called!

My wheels aren't diamond cut any more, but are wearing decent PS2 tyres all round that were more or less new when I bought it.

IF you can find the right person you might find they're prepared to pay top end of the market for it because it's a genuine car, but as with all market economics it depends how long you're prepared to wait for that buyer.

The kind of bills you're talking about all add up to a cared for car, which makes a sale more likely once someone comes to view.

My mate who's serviced your car reckons yours is an absolute minter with attention to minor details that most people wouldn't bother with - certainly if you do decide to sell it would be a car for someone serious about having a D2 S8 for the long term

Guess the question is whether 2 V8s are as unlikely to see much use as the one you had before buying the Merc

Adrian
Your car sounds lovely mate, and spec wise mine hasn't rear blinds or Bose - so your standard spec isn't as lowly as you think!

Your friend is very kind with his comments. To be fair, I looked at plenty of cars before I settled on this one - some much higher spec.

I bought on condition and service history. The mileage was, to be fair irrelevant, it just happened to be one of the cars I saw with lower mileage, but not the lowest. The colour was also a deciding factor; I have a friend with a D2 S8 that he has owned since it was six months old, and only on 25k miles as i type! Volcano black, so I figured if I bought a black one too, he would get a bit freaked out!

I did, however, spend a week on the car before I was happy with how it looked once I got it. I'm a bit anal like that, and am starting to do the same to the SL.

Two V8s? Hmm, as much as I'm tempted by that, SWMBO would never allow that!

Yeah baby!!

SL55 AMG Silver with designo red leather and 20" Carlsson 1/16 Utlralight Wheels
Old 9th February 2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
Amen to that, the D2 is one of the best Audis ever made.
+1

Driven a D3 W12 and S8, and as lovely as they are, the driver involvement just isn't there IMO.

That's why I ended up copying my friend and buying a D2 myself.

Yeah baby!!

Old 9th February 2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky22buk View Post
Hi mate.....

Always liked your car from the first time I saw it. Don't suppose you'd like a px of another 2002 Silver S8 with a few more miles and the standard Avus alloys plus cash your way........ then you could use the cheaper car as a run around (and not worry about it the way we obsessive enthusiasts do in car parks etc etc etc) or sell it all day long at a lower value which would make it easier sold ?

Just a thought........ Im happy enough with mine but yours in nicer and I would happily trade if it helped you any..... oh and of course me !!!!! LOL

Good luck no matter what you decide !!!!

Ricky !
Thanks for the nice words mate. To be honest, I wouldn't want the hassle of a part-ex.

If I could get £8k for the car, given the condition/money spent, then I would sell it.

To be honest, I'm thinking of keeping it given the stupid prices they are going for.

Not trying to blow my own trumpet, but you simply cannot put this car into the same catagory as what else is available for sale 90% of the time.

I could take off the wheels/tyres, milltek and sell them seperately I guess - put some boggo standard 18s and budget tyres on it, and put it up for sale for £6.5k.

Yeah baby!!

Old 9th February 2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
Photos/Specs/Info on the 55 AMG please, the guy who bought my and Ian's ex A8/S8 hybrid upgraded to the same car, what is so great about these cars that are making D2 owners change? I did consider an E55 AMG before I started searching for an RS 6, but the insurance was £1k more and I heard they had problems putting the power down in even damp conditions. Would love to own one someday, not sure I will though. If that makes sense.
Totally different animal - Close to 500BHP, heated, cooled massage seats, bose, proper hard top coupé, and a glorious roadster with the roof down!

I'm smitten

The power and the noise this thing makes is something else

I was lucky in as much that this car comes with an extremely rare set of 20" Carlsson alloys too.

I bought it to tidy up and sell on TBH, but I'm so smitten with it, I have started to think about selling the S8 now. That's how good the car is!

It's in the garage having a deep clean at the moment. I haven't been able to wash the outside since I picked her up due to the weather, and she's covered in road salt from my three hour drive from picking her up.

I'll get some photos up as soon as I can tho

Yeah baby!!

Old 9th February 2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8 Doc View Post
SL55 AMG. Awesome awesome machine.
Now that I have had first hand experience of one of these, I can only agree with that statement!

I was one of the few nutters driving around with the roof down this last few days!

Yeah baby!!

Old 9th February 2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I was lucky in as much that this car comes with an extremely rare set of 20" Carlsson alloys too.
I got 19" Carlsson alloys on S8, the ones in signature

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 9th February 2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I got 19" Carlsson alloys on S8, the ones in signature

Yeah baby!!