A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 18th November 2010, 06:19 PM

Location: ayamonte, spain, southern border right next to portugal
Default Steering noise-Clicks when cold

I had the same problem last year; I would start the car up when it was cold and hear a clicking noise from the steering wheel.
This would go away as soon as the car was warmed up.
The problem is, my front left tire got eaten up really quickly, and the people I took it to associated the two problems, but had different explanations/solutions for it.
Any ideas?
Old 5th December 2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkas8 View Post
I had the same problem last year; I would start the car up when it was cold and hear a clicking noise from the steering wheel.
This would go away as soon as the car was warmed up.
The problem is, my front left tire got eaten up really quickly, and the people I took it to associated the two problems, but had different explanations/solutions for it.
Any ideas?
Has your car had an impact on one of the front corners? (

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.
Old 8th December 2010, 11:28 PM

Location: ayamonte, spain, southern border right next to portugal

i crashed it against a parked car last year...it was snowy and i was going downhill.
the mechanics i saw know this. the car was moving very slowly.

Last edited by denkas8; 8th December 2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: wanted to add last sentence
Old 14th December 2010, 05:14 PM

My old black 8 had an impact on the front right, ate it's front tyres and clicked quite solidly when cold. Turns out that the front was twisted enough to put the steering column and rack in the wrong place and pulled one wheel further back than the other. Try measuring from wheel centre to wheel centre to see if there's a variation between sides. Panel fir was still ok so I was surprised.

Bill

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.