A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 7th February 2010, 01:26 PM

Default Brake Question

I have sourced a set of front Porsche 997 C4S Calipers, pads, and brand new discs and adaptors to fit to the front of my S8. I wanted to know if I removed the front factory brembo brakes, would they fit onto the back of the S8?
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 7th February 2010, 03:41 PM

No mate, totally different type of mounting on the rear and your rear calipers also have the park brake built in. On things like the RS2 that used Porka 4 pots on the back, they had a drum hand brake inside the disc to over come this.
Old 7th February 2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
I have sourced a set of front Porsche 997 C4S Calipers, pads, and brand new discs and adaptors to fit to the front of my S8.
Nice Looking forward to seeing the pics of those on and how they are mounted. Is it just a straight bolt on with the appropriate caliper mounting bracket?
Old 7th February 2010, 04:47 PM

Thanks Ben, I will need to speak to you more regarding brake upgrades soon. I will find anything over £600ish hard to justify but I'm fairly confident about making the Germany trip now and want a really good brake setup for the autobhans!
Clive, the guy selling them said he has some VW adaptors so they will fit. Just need to decide what to go with.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
Old 7th February 2010, 08:05 PM

amar you are right about wanting a good brake setup for the german trip. last year on the trip was the only time that i had a problem with my standard setup. we had been driving for a good few miles at high speed when we deceided to have a play with a bmw for a few miles. we were taking it nice and steady (about 150+ mph) when i needed to slow down quickly to about 80mph my brakes just judered and had massive brake fade. that was the reason i changed my brake setup to what i have now.
Old 7th February 2010, 08:08 PM

How much did your setup cost Darren, and was there a noticeable improvement? I can fit the EBC discs myself so that will save costs on a full brake upgrade. Its interesting what you say about they work better when they are warmed up, then why do people fit the Phaeton cooling ducts?
Old 8th February 2010, 04:50 AM

my setup was just short of three hundred quid and i have had no problems with cooling but on my standard setup i was allways getting brake fade and smoke comming from my disks.
Old 8th February 2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenjoe90 View Post
my setup was just short of three hundred quid and i have had no problems with cooling but on my standard setup i was allways getting brake fade and smoke comming from my disks.
I have also gone down the EBC route, the difference is immediately noticeable. The pedal is firmer and far more progressive than before. You don't need to push the pedal through the bulkhead to get a decent response. I did also have my brake fluid replaced, so that wouldn't have hurt either.

Following someone's recommendation on here I bought the front discs and pads for my 2002 S8 from Premier Motor Factors in Walsall, £247 all-in. I called them direct, but their prices might have gone up since then, as they were being asked to modify them into line with other less cheap outlets, for the sake of harmony and continued supply.