A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 13th July 2016, 10:52 AM

Default Options for a reversing camera

Having thought for years that they were something I didn't need, I've changed my mind.
Why? Because our new car (see sig) has one and I'm finding it really quite useful.

So, I'm trying to work out what options I have for my FL D2 S8. Here are some parameters:
1. Ideally a camera that shows the rear bumper at the lower edge of the field of view.
2. As automatic as possible to turn on when reversing, possibly with an override switch to manually turn it on.
3. I have an RNS-D but NO TV tuner.
4. I do have a TV/video input adapter (which does work when installed) bought to enable use of a DVB-T tuner.
5. This adapter has a switchable option to display video when moving and I already have a suitable switch installed but not connected - in the spare old-style (usually blank) location to the right of the steering wheel.

I've never managed to get decent reception on the digital TV so am fairly happy to give up on that, it's not currently installed anyway though I have a level of preparation done for power supplies etc. that could potentially be used for a camera.
With the video input adapter connected to the RNS-D it automatically enables the TV option to be selected, I've tested that in the past with a normal video camera.

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 13th July 2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 13th July 2016, 02:02 PM

I've just had a look at Sean's (Steamship) thread on fitting a camera using the reversing light space on the nearside equivalent to the boot keylock on the right.
That's made me decide to investigate the numberplate mount, ideally between the two lights.

As the new A8parts online shop is selling at a discount I've just ordered a spare mounting plate from there at a bargain price to practice on, just need to decide on a camera next, but that can wait until I get the plate and can take some precise measurements.
One like this looks suitable: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152068645597
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 13th July 2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Having thought for years that they were something I didn't need, I've changed my mind.
Why? Because our new car (see sig) has one and I'm finding it really quite useful.

So, I'm trying to work out what options I have for my FL D2 S8. Here are some parameters:
1. Ideally a camera that shows the rear bumper at the lower edge of the field of view.
2. As automatic as possible to turn on when reversing, possibly with an override switch to manually turn it on.
3. I have an RNS-D but NO TV tuner.
4. I do have a TV/video input adapter (which does work when installed) bought to enable use of a DVB-T tuner.
5. This adapter has a switchable option to display video when moving and I already have a suitable switch installed but not connected - in the spare old-style (usually blank) location to the right of the steering wheel.

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
The only issue with the D2 is that you can't get the RNS-D to switch to the TV/video channel automatically when selecting reverse, so you have to select it manually. At least that was the case when I fitted mine, as I could find lots of people asking how to do it, with no answers other than "it can't be done".

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I've just had a look at Sean's (Steamship) thread on fitting a camera using the reversing light space on the nearside equivalent to the boot keylock on the right.
That's made me decide to investigate the numberplate mount, ideally between the two lights.
One like this looks suitable: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152068645597
Putting it in the light itself was something The_Laird had done, although he hid his inside a keylock (and looked well). The downside to where it is mounted is the field of view is skewed more to the passenger side. It's only there for those really really tight spaces, or doing a ten-point turn on a one lane track.

The one you linked to is probably a good one to start with in order to get the angle down to the bumper edge you want.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 13th July 2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
The one you linked to is probably a good one to start with in order to get the angle down to the bumper edge you want.
Thanks Sean, I've actually ordered one now.

My plan is to try it all out using the spare numberplate panel I've ordered before finally committing with my existing panel.
The panel I've bought is quite a similar (but not identical) green colour so I'm happy to install it for a while and play around. And I've taken boot lids apart before from inside, so no worries about getting behind it, running cabling etc. etc.
Old 15th July 2016, 09:18 AM

I'll be very interested to find a reversing camera that will fit D2 numberplate light well perfectly. Or perhaps to modify the number plate light itself to accommodate the camera. All I saw on eBay look ugly or doesn't fit D2 number plate well perfectly, but maybe I didn't look properly. Perhaps there are several OEM cameras that can be modified to sit in D2 nicely... Following this thread with interest.
Old 15th July 2016, 10:23 AM

That's why I've bought a spare backing plate from our sponsors (half price of course via the new shop ) so I can experiment.
My car is dark green, actually appearing black to a casual glance, so I'm hoping for something pretty discreet.
Old 15th July 2016, 12:24 PM

All the bits arrived this morning and a quick look is very positive.
No time to try anything properly yet, but the camera fits neatly between the number plate lights, seems to have the right view and doesn't overlap the number plate.

The lead from the camera needs about a 12mm hole to feed plugs/connectors through, so a bit of "grommetry" will be needed to make it watertight.

I'll try to offer it up later (held with blu-tak!) and post some pictures of how it might look installed.
Old 15th July 2016, 01:13 PM

This is what it looks like from behind - not at all visible. And from really close too. It's just left of centre, below ring 2 of 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AudiCam1.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	13816   Click image for larger version

Name:	AudiCam2.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	13817  
Old 15th July 2016, 01:28 PM

Seems to work OK, here it is lashed up to an old TV monitor.
Image, as advertised, is mirrored and has lines. Field of view looks good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TestPic.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	13818  
Old 15th July 2016, 01:40 PM

Looks good Shame there's no way to switch it automatically otherwise I'd have a go too.