A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 20th November 2016, 07:54 PM

Default Illuminated external door handles

As far as I know this was never an option on any D2, but I could be wrong.
Has anyone ever though about retrofitting it, presumably linked in to the interior lighting in some way?

Not sure how I would approach it, but probably with fibre optics piping the light from a source in the B pillar into the doors and handles.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 20th November 2016, 09:59 PM

Do you mean to illuminate the handle-well so you can see it at night? I don't see why you couldn't wire some small LEDs in to the mechanism tbh. Optical fibre might not handle the movement of the handle too well, but a couple of tiny surface-mount LEDs wouldn't be too intrusive.

You could trigger it from the interior light I think - that comes on when you unlock the car doesn't it?

Might be a nice touch
Old 20th November 2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
You could trigger it from the interior light I think - that comes on when you unlock the car doesn't it?

Might be a nice touch
Exactly, linked to interior light. That's my thinking.

The light would be fixed, illuminating the handle from behind to easily find it at night.
I'm thinking fibre would be easy as for lighting it doesn't need to be very well coupled. So a single fixed LED source (each side) probably near the B-pillar (so dead easy to wire in) could be coupled across into the doors with a tiny air gap (when closed).

Saves running any electrical cables into the doors. And easy to weatherproof.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 20th November 2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 20th November 2016, 10:52 PM

Oh I see what you mean. Interesting idea.

If you fitted in to the lower handle casing so it didn't move you could heat up a plastic fibre and bend it to shape.

I'm wondering about some logic where if the doors are shut you can hijack the puddle lights signal to power an LED, then you don't need any extra wires. Just a relay or two, and maybe some diodes. Hmm...
Old 20th November 2016, 10:58 PM

The problem I see with the puddle lights is that I presume they are linked to the footwell lights, so only illuminate when that specific door is opened.
Old 21st November 2016, 09:12 AM

Hence relays and diodes

With the doors shut a relay diverts the puddle light supply to the door handle (done in the door). Inside the car, with the door shut, an unlock signal which turns on the interior light also turns on all the puddle lights, but with the doors shut that lights up the handles.
Old 22nd November 2016, 06:30 AM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dolls-Hous...Hsycj6PDW1Mhmg

I've use these in the past for car interior lighting projects, self adhesive and flexible - should be able to hide one of these under a handle/ mirror

My fx has them on the underside of the mirrors as 'welcome lights' they illuminate as you walk up with the key on you. In a multi storey car park they come on from quite a distance away.

I think MJ is on the right track here, something to mimic the footwell lighting may be the neatest solution....look forward to the write up

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 6th June 2017, 11:06 PM

I've done this. I used LED strip lighting with an adhesive backing with a small slit in the handle underside to provide illumination. I forget which wire signals the lighting, but it is at the door lock pump and is the feed from whatever module provides signal from the key fob to lock or unlock the car. As such, it doesn't come on whenever the doors are locked from the interior or automatically by the car, but does illuminate when the fob signals to lock or unlock. I felt this was closest to an OEM-type setup.

I used a fader designed to upgrade dome lights in classic cars to have the lights illuminate and and dim gradually. I don't recall which As such, whenever I lock or unlock the car, these lights come on for approximately 20 seconds.

I will provide video after it is dark here of the effect.

Here is the dimmer:
http://www.revolutionelectronics.com/Dome_Light.html
Old 7th June 2017, 01:12 AM

This is sounding more intriguing. I had thought of some LED strips stuck under the door handles, but couldn't figure out how to get them to work. Andrew, you're the whiz with relays and the like. Over to you

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 7th June 2017, 01:17 AM

I did this maybe 3 years ago now, and I always fail to write down what I'm actually doing, so, like I said, rough outline of the job is all I ca give at this point. But, it's doable and attractive at night.

I was inspired by the e38 BMW handles, and actually grabbed some from a junkyard hoping to make that system work, but the light output just wasn't satisfactory.