A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 17th October 2017, 04:48 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Default Bonnet Catch Adjustment?

Just noticed my bonnet catch isn't returning properly ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-10-17 16.20.14.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	17299

The centre catch mechanism is well-lubricated and moving freely (returning properly with the bonnet open) and the two spring-loaded catches to the left and right of the bonnet are engaging correctly (holding the bonnet down tightly, which is perfectly aligned with the panels all round).

It seems as though the centre catch is suddenly unable to grab and rotate fully when the bonnet is closed, even if it is slammed shut but I can't see any adjustment for the centre catch. Am I missing something?
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 17th October 2017, 06:47 PM

Well, I think that's curtains for your car Mark.
If you want to offer any of your shiny parts for sale at giveaway prices then I would be prepared to consider any reasonable request....
Old 17th October 2017, 07:30 PM

Not on your Nellie!

I have too much invested in this car now. It's getting fixed even if I have to replace most of the front end!

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 18th October 2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Just noticed my bonnet catch isn't returning properly ...

Attachment 17299

The centre catch mechanism is well-lubricated and moving freely (returning properly with the bonnet open) and the two spring-loaded catches to the left and right of the bonnet are engaging correctly (holding the bonnet down tightly, which is perfectly aligned with the panels all round).

It seems as though the centre catch is suddenly unable to grab and rotate fully when the bonnet is closed, even if it is slammed shut but I can't see any adjustment for the centre catch. Am I missing something?
Mine does this its like the cars tongue

i just push it back in after the bonnet is shut
Mercedes Benz CLS 500 - Sold
Corsa VXR Nurburgring - Sold
RS6 Avant Grey - Sold
Seat Leon Cupra R - Sold
Old 18th October 2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS6 View Post
Mine does this its like the cars tongue

i just push it back in after the bonnet is shut

I know what you mean. It's not that. I've had that happen before when it the mechanism gets a little dry and dirty. Cleaning and lubricating it usually cures that.

This is different. I think the catch isn't locking around the pin, like it's not reaching for some reason. The "tongue" won't push back in (except when the bonnet is open)

Cars Owned:

Old 19th October 2017, 07:32 PM

Stuck-out tongue no longer stuck out

I had to make a visit to one of my garage customers today to do a little work and discuss their new server/network installation progress, so I handed them the keys and asked them to sort it (one of the advantages of having a few garage customers). I was going to have another go at fixing it myself ... but it was raining. They had it fixed before I was ready to leave. Just needed adjusting apparently. I didn't ask the mechanic to elucidate but it's working again now.

Cars Owned: