A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 10th March 2015, 03:46 PM
Banned

Default Solar Roof trickle charge battery

I seem to remember a while ago talk of wiring the Solar roof up to the battery so that it will keep a constant charge well i would like to do this and wandered if anyone has a guide on what to do to make it possible,

i often worry that if i do short journey all the time i will wear down my battery.

any advise, Guides or help would be great
Old 10th March 2015, 08:16 PM

I haven't doe this yet, but here is the thread wit some hardware that will help:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7631
Old 10th March 2015, 08:17 PM

Sorry Guy, The only references to this that I can find are just questions like yours.
There are remarks about a VW solar panel that new cars are shipped with to the States. These sit on the roof via four suction pads and plug into the cig lighter socket. Keeps the battery charged during transit/storage. But that, I know, is not what you really want.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 10th March 2015, 09:48 PM

I recall reading the earlier stuff with vague interest and deciding not to bother.
BUT it was for the D2 which has fairly simple battery circuitry, whereas the D3 is much more complex.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 11th March 2015, 05:40 AM

Not sure what voltage solar sunroof panel outputs but you will need some kind of DC-DC charger that can take variable voltage from the solar panel and supply constant voltage to the battery. Example here http://www.powerstream.com/pv-control.htm

Having a switch so that you can choose weather you want battery charged or fan running would be a good idea too.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 11th March 2015, 10:04 AM

How about making a little temp based change over ciecuit, I'm sure there must be something like that available from Maplin.

So on vey hot days it switches to cool the cabin on other days just charge the battery

Old 11th March 2015, 11:38 AM

Just buy a solar trickle charger you push in the cigar lighter?

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 11th March 2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Just buy a solar trickle charger you push in the cigar lighter?
Don't work on a D3, been there and tried it. The solar charger needs direct connection to the battery.

The reason it does not work is the battery controller, it blocks the current flow to the battery with the ignition off. The controller is quiet complex and even with the engine running can stop the alternator from charging the battery when it reaches full charge, its why you must use the correct connections when charging at home with the battery in situ.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 15th March 2015, 05:56 PM

I don't think those solar chargers work very well.

I got a AA one with ODB socket and battery socket.
I connected it to a spare battery in the garage and over a week I checked the voltage in the battery.
Day one the battery was as 10 volts. By day 7 it was was 11.5.
The battery is less than 6 months old, so its not the battery.

Guy, You can buy 12v solar charger control units for caravans and such.
I think one of them will work fine connected to the battery correctly.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 16th March 2015, 05:12 PM

They are not exactly meant for charging batteries, only to keep it charged. If it provides 0.5 amps on a good bright day then to get 95ah battery from 10-90% charge wold take over 150hrs if it was charging with 100% efficiency. My 3.8A mains charger takes 2.5 days to charge from 25% to 90%.

Edit

Just had a quick look at the AA one and it only provides up to 0.2A and up to 12.7V sit it will probably never get battery charged but should help to keep it charged.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 16th March 2015 at 05:31 PM.