A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 25th October 2016, 11:44 AM

Default knock control on AQG

knock control cyl 7 P1331 reg limit exceeded intermittent is the fault code I am getting

is there really a separate sensor on each cylinder ?
being a simple fellow I thought there was a sensor per engine or at most one per bank so what is this about and what to do ???

there must be some info about but can I find it ? can I ******
Old 25th October 2016, 04:07 PM

I thought there was one on each bank of cylinders?

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 25th October 2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiseuk View Post
I thought there was one on each bank of cylinders?
Yes, that's my understanding as well.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 25th October 2016, 11:01 PM

Yes, one per bank, but the ECU knows which cylinder it just fired so it can work out which one just knocked as well.

There are measuring blocks for individual cylinder knock detection parameters iirc so you can watch it running and see what is happening, and plot it on a graph using VCDS. Swap the coil pack and / or spark plug to another cylinder to see if it moves.
Old 26th October 2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Yes, one per bank, but the ECU knows which cylinder it just fired so it can work out which one just knocked as well.

There are measuring blocks for individual cylinder knock detection parameters iirc so you can watch it running and see what is happening, and plot it on a graph using VCDS. Swap the coil pack and / or spark plug to another cylinder to see if it moves.
Ah, thats how it works...very clever.

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 26th October 2016, 11:56 AM

[quote=MikkiJayne;118912]Yes, one per bank, but the ECU knows which cylinder it just fired so it can work out which one just knocked as well.

There are measuring blocks for individual cylinder knock detection parameters iirc so you can watch it running and see what is happening, and plot it on a graph using VCDS. Swap the coil pack and / or spark plug to another cylinder to see if it moves.[/QUOTE

aha BUT
looking for parts it seems there are what are called blue sensors and green sensors ...presumably should be the same on each bank?

if I read this correctly the problem can be either

spark plug , coil pack OR knock sensor ?

tks MJ
Old 26th October 2016, 01:26 PM

S8s use 2 green sensors. One is in the V under the inlet manifold and the other is just behind the power steering pump. The 4-cylinders use one blue and one green.

I would say spark plug most likely, then coil pack, then excess carbon in that cylinder causing local hotspots and pre-ignition, then knock sensor. If it was failing one bank then sensor first, but since its one cylinder look at cylinder-specific things first
Old 28th October 2016, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I would say spark plug most likely, then coil pack, then excess carbon in that cylinder causing local hotspots and pre-ignition, then knock sensor.
I would add checking the spark holes for oil.
Based on D2 experience, coil pack failure is more likely than spark plug failure - though spark plugs are cheap! Swapping the coil with another cylinder is a good idea to test both.
The fact that's it's able to detect knock would almost straight away knock out the knock sensor as a fault (not sure if pun intended or not!)

To deal with carbon (and as general maintenance), add some injector cleaner for the next few tanks, and some octane booster (many products do both), along with the highest rated fuel available (98RON BP is good) and go for some long drives with a mix of highway and spirited driving to give it every chance to burn off.
This is a good to do on occasion anyway!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 1st November 2016, 10:25 AM

thanks all for your comments
did a critical path analysis on what to do first ,started with taking a friend to catch his flight back home to canada , some brisk overtaking required to get past the trucks on the country roads