A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Transmission

D3 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 25th October 2016, 07:06 PM

Deep breaths Tony, keep taking deep breaths!

Sorry to read this, I hope it is a minor oversight on their behalf
Old 25th October 2016, 07:44 PM

Ha! That's good advice but it's becoming easier said than done.

I got a call from Audi today to basically tell me they've barely touched my car since it went in almost two weeks ago. They're now trying to tell me the noise from the steering is normal, and is a different noise than was first heard. I told them it wasn't and that they've just not been able to diagnose it yet. After a little back and forth, I said I'd go in and demonstrate the noise to their technician again.

When I got there, they kept me waiting for ages to see my car. I thought I saw it go past outside the showroom, but it never materialised. The service assistant came over with bad news: my battery had run flat and when they gave the car power, there was a warning on the dash about the parking brake. The diagnostic apparently shows it now needs a new EPB motor on the left side. How the hell they diagnosed that in 10-15 minutes when it's taken them weeks to do anything else is beyond me but I don't have much choice but to go with their assessment.

Without the car, I was unable to demonstrate the fault to the tech and I was also unable to confirm whether or not it was my car I saw outside the showroom. I do know it had the same tints and dark wheels as mine, which I thought was a pretty rare combination.

So, just to recap. Once the infernal machine stops licking it's wounds at Audi, it now has to go:

1) To an unknown transmission place in London to have the leak sorted (Chaster haven't got back to me with a garage name).
2) To a bodyshop to get the hit & run repaired (they've got a month-long waiting list)
3) To an Audi indie to get a carbon clean.

Sometimes I wonder whether what that car needs is a lit match in the fuel tank.

...Ugh. Sorry (again) about the rant. I hate that this car turns me into Moaning Myrtle.

2008 Audi S8
Old 25th October 2016, 07:49 PM

Understand your annoyance, I would be too. you should have opened the bonnet and checked to see if engine was warm. but anyway hope the car gets sorted out before it becomes an antique

Old 25th October 2016, 09:26 PM

Sorry to hear all your woes also Tony that's pretty poor from Audi though
You will get loads of possible symptoms from the battery being flat so the first thing should be to diagnose if it just needs a charge or a recondition and then wait to see if the other issues are still there when it's fully charged and then run. Even EPB problems can sometimes be caused by the same. If you do need an EPB motor then Euro car parts are the cheapest at about £150 after you've chopped the old one back in for re-condition.
Hope you get to the bottom of it and keep the faith, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 26th October 2016, 03:39 PM

As above dead batteries can cause all sorts of ghost faults on cars, especially with these levels of electronics. Surely a fault that occurs in their hands can be disputed?

Tony, not sue why you are using this dealer when you mentioned an Indy for the carbon clean?
Old 26th October 2016, 03:55 PM

I agree. I'm hoping to get the dealer to take ownership of the EPB motor. I think it's much more likely to have got damaged when they jump started it than when the battery went flat.

This work is being done at the dealer because it's a follow-up from the work they did when it went to them for servicing. I reported a knock in the steering, after telling me there was nothing wrong, they diagnosed a faulty steering rack which didn't fix it. Two more attempts at repair later and we're at this visit. Thankfully, I've not had to pay for any of the successive visits, arguing that I've already paid my fair share when I paid for the steering rack. If it was mis-diagnosed, it's up to them to sort it out.

...We've now entered the making excuses phase of the negotiation. They told me the sound is normal and to be expected. I replied that if it was, they owe me a few thousand pounds, because that's what I spent (at their recommendation) to rectify it.

To top it all off, they were supposed to get back to me today to let me know about the EPB motor but they've not called. For the record, neither has Chester Transmissions, who were going to get back to me with the details of the garage to fix the transmission leak.

I wish I'd asked to go and see my car when I was there yesterday - I can't help but feel it was my car I saw drive past the showroom.

Sometimes I can't tell whether I'm talking to garages or unscrupulous double-glazing salespeople. (no offence if you're in either trade - I'm referring to my crappy experience with individuals in both trades)

2008 Audi S8
Old 29th November 2016, 06:01 PM

OK, so I can see the end of the tunnel at last.

I chased Audi yesterday and they got back to me today. I've done by very best to remain nice all the way through but I'm sure my frustration has shown through to them a few times. Anyway, they called to tell me they have agreed to refund the money for my steering rack and I get to pick up my car tomorrow!

I've got to make a quick stop to get the transmission leak fixed and then it's onto the carbon & injector clean and finally the bodywork repair.

Wow... I can't believe I actually get to drive my car tomorrow!

2008 Audi S8
Old 29th November 2016, 07:25 PM

Fingers crossed for you Tony.

I had a right go at a BMW Indy years ago, I'd dropped my car off for them to fix and as I was walking maybe a mile or more to my train I saw my bloody car wizz past me, in the middle of winter, didn't even give me a lift. Funny it takes them all the time in the world to fix the things, maybe it's because they're 'test driving them'. Can't remember what excuse they pulled out their behinds, because it was in for a re-repair of the window regulator, they'd not really repaired. And no, a pre-re-repair test drive was not appropriate!

I'd be tempted to sell the car on, if I was in your shoes. It seems like the car Gods just don't want you to drive the thing. Either way, great news about the refund. Let's hope you get the beast back and get to enjoy the thing!!!

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 29th November 2016, 07:30 PM

I can't say for sure how long I will have the car. It's been an emotional rollercoaster, that's for sure.

Before it goes (if it goes) I'm determined to drive the car with the engine, gearbox and toys are all working. I've invested enough in the car that it owes me that much.

Right now, I'm just looking forward to being back behind the wheel.

2008 Audi S8
Old 29th November 2016, 07:36 PM

I bet when you do get behind the wheel any thoughts of getting rid will disappear!

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.