A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Our Other Audi Friends > Other Audis

Other Audis All other Audi related chat

Old 27th May 2011, 11:39 PM

Default Audi

This used to be a brand I loved from about the same time I could talk, my school books were covered in quattro and Audi logos everywhere, posters, models, my lunchbox had a laminated Audi RS 4 B5 Avant picture on it when I was 10... I even used to write to Audi UK as a kid with 'design ideas' for models and they were so taken aback by a kid having such an interest in the brand they picked me up from home in a chauffeur driven Audi A8, took me to Silverstone. Hired a driving instructor for the whole day to teach me to drive in an Audi A2 (age 11), then they took me out in skid cars, in fact, I was VIP at the launch of the Audi driving experience along with motoring press and Manchester united football club. It was the first ever UK Audi driving experience and I went around in the (then) brand new C5 RS 6 Avant.
Naturally, I used to detest BMW being Audi's arch rival. Back in them days, kids and people around me didn't even know what an Audi was and it was Merc,BMW this... When people found out I liked Audis they would be like eh?*
To be honest, I loved them days. When I used to be strapped into the back of an Audi 80 quattro at age 3/4/5/6.... And it was actually fun spotting an Audi amongst the horde of BMWs and Benzes. Which is why, it pains me to see what Audi have become now.*
I don't see them in the same light anymore, they are to me what BMW used to be. They are flippin' everywhere. Audi have become popular and in 'in' brand now and I don't like it. They have fallen into the wrong hands.*
I blame models like the TT, R8 and the A5. People started to notice Audi a lot more thanks to these models, Audi have become a fashion accessory now. A lot (not all) are brought by people that know feck all about cars. I was speaking to the owner of an RS 5 the other day and he didn't even know if it was a V8 or not, I mean... Come on, I daren't ask him what he thought of the new quattro system.*
The worst thing is what they are doing to the RS brand. I would chose an RS 2, B5 RS 4,C5 RS 6 over any Aston, I'm serious. I adore them cars. Silly fast, rare and only people that really *know* cars will turn a head. The new TT RS RS 5 all look well and good but what happened to *' only one RS model at a time' and only making them in limited numbers?

Audi are obviously doing really well and I bet they will continue to do so, but they have lost their 'coolness' for me at least. I didn't want to buy a BMW but after testing it against the equivalent Audi model it was a MUCH better product. Faster, more economical, it didn't have a cam belt and the handling was in another league to put it lightly. I don't get let out of junctions any less then I did in the Audi so that old age saying 'BMWs are driven by cocks' is rubbish as I personally have more Audi drivers up my chuff then any other brand. For the record the guys in Munich have caught up a lot in interior quality then Ingolstadt have managed to in driving dynamics.

I really hope Audi do the following.*

Stop letting S Line drivers order RS 6/4 wheels on their front wheel drive four pot rep mobiles.
This will in turn bring some exclusivity back to the RS range...
Then ditch this front wheel drive bollox, it doesn't go with the 'premium' image. Fords,Vauxhalls,Citreons,Mazdas and Toyotas are front wheel drive, not premium cars.*

Anyway, sorry for the rant, and don't get me wrong. I love all 8s apart from the D4 (which will probably grow on me) and 90% of RS models still. This is just my personal opinion and to end it on a positive note. Audi have finally launched an engine to rival the 335d and hopefully it will take it to the next level. As that is what Audi are all about, I love the fact Jaguar brag on the 'about us' section of their website how the XJ they released in 2003 is built entirely from aluminium, when Audi were knocking that sh1t out in 1994, and someone on here pointed out recently Jag still haven't got it right and where the steel door hinges meet the aluminium body it corrodes. *Chuckle*

On an even more positive note how about a picture of an Audi I want more then anything right now and have done for more than 12 years now...

The B5 RS 4

2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 28th May 2011, 01:04 AM

Well said young man
Old 28th May 2011, 06:32 AM

More of an old RS6 man myself...