A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 8th July 2013, 12:14 PM

Default Fule Pump Noise

Hi

on sunday after not using the car since thursday i started her up and heard a high pitch noise, at first thought it was the gearbox oil pump but after listening around figured out it was the fuel pump. from inside the car and the boot it sounds normal. but from outside especially near the right rear wheel its quiet loud whine.i drove a bit and when i got to my destination had a listen and it was gone. same story this morning on way to work. should i start looking for a new pump?
Old 8th July 2013, 02:15 PM

I didn't get a whine from my pump it just got lumpy running, engine stall but would restart sometimes straight away then a while after then not at all.

Audi don't sell the pump but the whole unit as one and i expect as it would have been for me scrap the car time. I bought this Fuel pump #(don't remember what i had to do to make this ebay link stay here)

I had it fitted by the garage that recovered the car (to the middle of the sticks) and then had it fail again but due to it not being fitted right. It's a horrible job, i also needed some a new o ring for the long bolt.

I still get the smell of petrol in the car after brimming it or hard right foot and throwing it around tight left bends, but i've been putting off going back in the boot to fix it, i mean how bad can breathing petrol fumes be.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 8th July 2013, 08:53 PM

the long bolt is leaking on mine aswel. i replaced the cap on top of the pump and seemed to work a bit so once the seal on the long bolt is done it shouldnt leak. at the moment it battles to start and i have to press the accelerator to get it to start then it slowly fires up. if its just been turned off it will start first time or if its left over night.otherwise its a battle.it runs fine except the odd feeling like a miss fire waiting for a robot or the few occasions that it looses power right after pulling off then just goes fine again.did the plugs tonight so will see how it goes,the plugs where in bad shape.
Old 8th July 2013, 09:01 PM

Hope these two videos will help and good luck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgOUgUm2JpY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiVs8Y466s8
Old 9th July 2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
the long bolt is leaking on mine aswel. i replaced the cap on top of the pump and seemed to work a bit so once the seal on the long bolt is done it shouldnt leak. at the moment it battles to start and i have to press the accelerator to get it to start then it slowly fires up. if its just been turned off it will start first time or if its left over night.otherwise its a battle.it runs fine except the odd feeling like a miss fire waiting for a robot or the few occasions that it looses power right after pulling off then just goes fine again.did the plugs tonight so will see how it goes,the plugs where in bad shape.
It'll fail all together soon and leave you stranded.

You'll need plenty of patients if you do it yourself and if not plenty of trust for somone else to do it right. I ended up in the boot for most the day trying to get it right and there were some horrible words coming out of my mouth.

I'm sure Audi do a seal kit for the pump unit, but it's apparently a throw away unit when you ring for the pump it's self. Why you'd need a seal kit for something you don't take apart i don't know.

Old 8th October 2013, 06:10 PM

on Thursday last week it got really noisy so i bought a new pump and i am waiting for it to arrive. but today i noticed that the car smells like it is running rich when starting. would this have anything to do with the pump?
at the moment i have problems starting the car when its hot,the pump is on and off noisy but it will always get noisy on a long drive i assume when it gets hot.when its hot it has a rough idle when in gear or the aircon is on.when its cold it will start first time otherwise it will start on the 3rd try when pressing the accelerator. this problem has gone from being random to starting on 2nd try to being on the 3rd try now. could this be another issue like O2 sensor or temp sensor,MAF,fuel regulator or just the fuel pump. i dont have a diagnostics cable its something i need to get but about 2 months ago i put it on my brothers one when he came down from JHB and pulled misfire codes and crank sensor faults but that has been replaced since
Old 9th October 2013, 06:12 AM

You may well have other issues but I would change your fuel pump seeing as you have it on the way anyway and then take stock of where you are.

The seal kit for the pump costs about £70 from Audi but as far as I can remember dosen't include the long bolt seal!! but I could be wrong.

When I did mine I found the seals I removed all over sized. They must have absorbed petrol and expanded because after a few days they had shrunk back and were easy to fit. This is obviously ok if you can live without the car for a week.

It's a fiddly job but doable at home no problem. Just be aware the cap for the sender is a lefthand thread.
Old 9th October 2013, 06:29 AM

I'd second that. I was getting really odd codes back from fuel starvation, missfires and the like.

The 3rd time i have done the pump assy i used the instructions Anairs posted up and went to work. Found it much easier this time around and i'm now testing. I didn't buy a seal kit but replaced the o ring on the long bolt as it had perished.

Graynada, do you still have your homemade special tool for the 'bottle lid'? if so could i borrow it for 5 mins to tighten mine up please? I get the wiff of petrol on a hard right turn.

Old 9th October 2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Graynada, do you still have your homemade special tool for the 'bottle lid'? if so could i borrow it for 5 mins to tighten mine up please? I get the wiff of petrol on a hard right turn.
Plumbers wrench from 99p Store fits like it was made for purpose

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0493.JPG
Views:	669
Size:	459.7 KB
ID:	6833  

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 9th October 2013, 09:54 AM

Sorry mate not that one, the big black ribbed one