A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 2nd March 2019, 12:03 PM

Default Broadband Speed

I have been with Virgin Cable for a few years now and have been usually very happy. Of course nothing is always perfect so there have been a few hiccups but Virgin have on the whole been very good and have given me free months when I lost connection for a day or two.

Had a "To The Householder" circular from Virgin yesterday morning mentioning Speed of 350Mbps. Didn't believe it but phoned anyway. They said that I was now only on their second best broadband but I could go up if I wanted. They said I could go up to 250Mbps but already being at what they had always referred to as 200Mbps I was a bit bit wary. Tongue in cheek I asked about cost, they reported extra £5 per month but before I could say anything they said "You have been with us for a very long time so to you an extra £1 per month".

Wow!. I thought pretty good, worth a punt, so OK'd it.

At midnight last night I lost Broadband, restarted the router and went to bed.

I've just run Speedtest and here are the figures.

01/03/2019 (prior to change)

Ping 10ms Download 220.89Mbps Upload 11.79Mbps (had this for a few years now)

02/03/2019 (after change)

Ping 10ms Download 384.38Mbps Upload 20.53Mbps

Ping 9ms Download 387.09Mbps Upload 20.46Mbps

RESULT. Good value at £1 per month.

What do you think? If you want to move in here you will have to wait until the others move out in August.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 2nd March 2019, 02:16 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I'm jealous!

Best I can get here presently is about 80Mbps down and 20Mbps up. Virgin's cabling infrastructure (or rather NYNEX's as it was at the time) doesn't quite reach my house. About 250 yards down the road you can see where Virgin availability starts by the appearance of NYNEX manhole covers.

Fortunately we're in BT trial area here though. We were one of the first areas in the country to get FTTC/VDSL back in the day. And (I'm told) BT should soon be offering FTTP to homes in the area.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 2nd March 2019, 04:29 PM

I have always been on their top-tier and had great results

2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 2nd March 2019, 05:53 PM

Mark,
I could visit you and bring a plastic bucket full of speed just for you

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 3rd March 2019, 12:49 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Mark,
I could visit you and bring a plastic bucket full of speed just for you
You can't put it in a plastic bucket, silly.

You need to use a metal bucket to keep internets in

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 4th March 2019, 10:00 AM

Been on Virgin for a while and getting north of 380Mbps on my PC which is ethernetted into the Superhub 3 modem/router directly. Happy with that speed.

The Superhub is the weakest thing about Virgin. The MAC address filter just doesn't work - never has, appartently known issue - there is none of the parental control stuff on the router itself and I don't think the wifi has great coverage.

I work from home a few days in the week and have a bit of a home office in a garden cabin. I would say it's only 10 metres from the Superhub but the speed on a PC in there drops to about 40-60Mbps, even on the 5Ghz wifi network.

While I appreciate this is better than a lot of folk get to their house, it's not the 380 I get indoors - I am getting the odd dropout and streaming is not always glitch-free.

I tell you all that to tell you this:

Last week I took delivery of a Netgear R9000 router. I was hoping it would push out a stronger wifi signal. Well it did. I was seeing around 100-120 Mbps outside. The thing is - from the minute I switched it on, I got a headache. Like a dull tingling in my sinus and temples. When I powered it off, it went instantly.

It's the same when I enable the wifi hotspot on my phone (a Pixel) - I am sure it can't be doing me any good. I have googled it and there is conflicting data (like anything else on the internet) but I am sure about the headache. I couldn't live with it as I would be sleeping directly above it. I could feel the headache in the office outside.

It's definitely the wifi I am sensitive to - I guess the Virgin box isn't pushing it out enough for me to notice, or I have got numb to that. But just wondering if anyone else here gets the same symptoms? Some reports say the condition "Can't exist".

I've had to return it to Amazon the morning after taking delivery.
Old 2nd March 2019, 06:27 PM

Never been able to fathom why VM throttle their upload speeds so much - we were with them for years at our old house, but they can't supply where we live now.

We have to put up with this.....

So at least my upload speed isn't much different lol

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 2nd March 2019, 06:50 PM

Virgin seems to fastest for local raw speed but a bit poor for foreign sites with some not accessible at all and others with poor speed. I have not had Virgin/NTL for a very long time but a lot of my foreign friends are complaining about sites not accessible or lot of buffering for foreign streaming sites when they have 100Mbps plan and using a stream that only needs ~2Mbps. All those sites work fine for me on up to 78Mbps Vodafone plan, in reality 55-60Mbps @ £21.60/month including line rental.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:59 PM

Oh well. I win the prize for the most laid back broadband, unless someone can do better ..... worse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speed BB 20190302.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	20920