A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > VCDS (aka Vagcom)

VCDS (aka Vagcom) For all your electronic debug / diag advice queries and mods.

Old 6th April 2019, 07:52 PM

Default NEW DTC: P0322 soon after fixing last fault!

Having had my trusted local mechanic replace the ignition switch and the mechanical bit that slots into it on Friday, I had a correctly running D2 for all of 12-15 hours or so.

Today, it's being an absolute mare and stopping frequently...WHILST IN MOTION THIS TIME!!

THIS AFTERNOON:
My cheapo VS450 VAG code reader is (intermittently) detecting the following code, but ONLY detects this via ISO9141 protocol:

* P0322
* Ignition/Dist Engine Speed Input Circuit No Signal

Can anyone please point me in direction of where the signal source comes from and if it's easily replaced?

Interestingly, just before the last incident, I had the car happily running on cruise control and it still shut down, so presumably the two signals are from different sources?

ADDITIONALLY, when the car started for the first time both yesterday and today, it's misfiring, but that clears up after a few minutes ...

YESTERDAY's Codes...ALL detected immediately after running rough upon first starting:

* Engine speed sensor (G28) No signal: P0322
* Static no define
* Random/multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected: P0300
* Static - no
* Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected:P0305
* Static no indication on
* Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected:P0303
* Static No indication on
* Cylinder 7 Misfire Detected:P0307
* Static - No indication on

ALL the above cleared within a mile of starting and engine ran sweetly thereafter.

By comparison, THIS MORNING'S Codes:

* Random/multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected: P0300
* Static - no
* Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected:P0305
* Static no indication on

I'm pulling my hair out...and I only have about seven on my head to start with!!

Thanks in anticipation!

DailyMike.
[BSold with regret:]2002 A8 4.2 (40v) Quattro Sport, 18" QS wheels; Prins LPG[/b], Silver; Black leather; newly-refurbished wheels in Anthracite...pics to follow soon!
2000 P38 Range Rover Vogue 4.6 V8 LPG, Epsom Green, fully-rebuilt engine (Top-hat liners, new camshaft for better mid-range torque); New S/S sports exhaust...SOUNDS BRILLIANT!
2014 Mondraker TrakkerR; 29-er, 30-speed gear train; rise'n'fall saddle; Mountain bike...NOT a cart-horse!
"JONDOR" a 116' long, 17"6" beam Humber Barge, Built 1950, ex oil tanker, fully refurbished Gardner 6LXC engine for propulsion (one day); requires new marine gearbox; 2-cylinder Petter Diesel engine & 3-cylinder diesel auxilliary engines with 12/24v and 230/415v gensets
"JONDOR" is a slow-burn project, being converted to provide suitable accommodation for wheelchair users and their carer/family for short respite breaks. Currently moored on River Humber at Old Beverley Shipyard
SOLD***2006 LWB Ford Transit 2.4 Diesel, Luton Van; Tail-lift; leaking translucent roof SOLD***

Previous vehicles:
Far too many to list individually, but includes 2005 A8 D3 3.0TDI Quattro Sport; 2007 A6 3.0TDI Avant; 2005 A4 2.0 Avant; 2007 A3 2.0TDI; 7-off Citroens, Many Fords, Austin 1100 (my first car), Lotus 7, Rover SD1 3500; SAAB 9000i, SAAB 9000 turbo; BMW 530; another P38 Range Rover (the crap one with BMW 2500 diesel engine...wouldn't tow the skin off a rice-pudding! )
Daren't even mention the traumatic Morris Marina and Ital's....even an Austin Princess. Brain is now hurting somewhat, so giving up for now...

Last edited by DailyMike; 6th April 2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 6th April 2019, 08:18 PM

Sounds like engine speed sensor is on it's way out. Usually when it starts failing it's Ok on cold engine and cause problems when hot but sometimes can be other way round, presumably due to dry internal joint. as it expands or contracts heating up and cooling down it can make or loose connection. It will get worse with time and fail completely eventually. Plus possibly another problem with cylider 5.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 6th April 2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Sounds like engine speed sensor is on it's way out. Usually when it starts failing it's Ok on cold engine and cause problems when hot but sometimes can be other way round, presumably due to dry internal joint. as it expands or contracts heating up and cooling down it can make or loose connection. It will get worse with time and fail completely eventually. Plus possibly another problem with cylider 5.
Yeah...thanks for your prompt response.

Do you happen to know:
1. Where it's located?
2. Is it easy to get to and replace the sensor?

Cheers,

Mike.
[BSold with regret:]2002 A8 4.2 (40v) Quattro Sport, 18" QS wheels; Prins LPG[/b], Silver; Black leather; newly-refurbished wheels in Anthracite...pics to follow soon!
2000 P38 Range Rover Vogue 4.6 V8 LPG, Epsom Green, fully-rebuilt engine (Top-hat liners, new camshaft for better mid-range torque); New S/S sports exhaust...SOUNDS BRILLIANT!
2014 Mondraker TrakkerR; 29-er, 30-speed gear train; rise'n'fall saddle; Mountain bike...NOT a cart-horse!
"JONDOR" a 116' long, 17"6" beam Humber Barge, Built 1950, ex oil tanker, fully refurbished Gardner 6LXC engine for propulsion (one day); requires new marine gearbox; 2-cylinder Petter Diesel engine & 3-cylinder diesel auxilliary engines with 12/24v and 230/415v gensets
"JONDOR" is a slow-burn project, being converted to provide suitable accommodation for wheelchair users and their carer/family for short respite breaks. Currently moored on River Humber at Old Beverley Shipyard
SOLD***2006 LWB Ford Transit 2.4 Diesel, Luton Van; Tail-lift; leaking translucent roof SOLD***

Previous vehicles:
Far too many to list individually, but includes 2005 A8 D3 3.0TDI Quattro Sport; 2007 A6 3.0TDI Avant; 2005 A4 2.0 Avant; 2007 A3 2.0TDI; 7-off Citroens, Many Fords, Austin 1100 (my first car), Lotus 7, Rover SD1 3500; SAAB 9000i, SAAB 9000 turbo; BMW 530; another P38 Range Rover (the crap one with BMW 2500 diesel engine...wouldn't tow the skin off a rice-pudding! )
Daren't even mention the traumatic Morris Marina and Ital's....even an Austin Princess. Brain is now hurting somewhat, so giving up for now...
Old 6th April 2019, 08:48 PM

Its on the front left of the gearbox bellhousing just in front of the output flange. You can reach it through the wheel arch. There is a cable tie holding it to the back of the engine block which can be a bit of a pain to get to. The connector is grey and is clipped to the firewall just to the side of the heater hoses.

Part number is 077905381F.
Old 6th April 2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Its on the front left of the gearbox bellhousing just in front of the output flange. You can reach it through the wheel arch. There is a cable tie holding it to the back of the engine block which can be a bit of a pain to get to. The connector is grey and is clipped to the firewall just to the side of the heater hoses.

Part number is 077905381F.
Thanks, MikkiJayne!

I'll see if A8parts have one in stock first thing Monday! I need to order 04-off Lambda sensors from them too...I always get error codes relating to them. I mainly run the car on LPG..will the Lambda sensors being faulty effect the economy when running on LPG as well as on petrol?

Kind regards,

Mike.

Previous vehicles:
Old 6th April 2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyMike View Post
Thanks, MikkiJayne!

I'll see if A8parts have one in stock first thing Monday! I need to order 04-off Lambda sensors from them too...I always get error codes relating to them. I mainly run the car on LPG..will the Lambda sensors being faulty effect the economy when running on LPG as well as on petrol?

Kind regards,

Mike.
I would go for new one as they are known to be common fault item. I think they brake down due to heat cycling an a second hand could fail soon again so could be false economy. Same for lambda sensors.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 6th April 2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I would go for new one as they are known to be common fault item. I think they brake down due to heat cycling an a second hand could fail soon again so could be false economy. Same for lambda sensors.
Thanks for the excellent info and advice.

I'd come to the same conclusion when I saw that a new Bosch speed sensor will have a FIVE YEAR guarantee.

I'll see if A8spares can supply new.

Kind regards,

Mike.

Previous vehicles:

Last edited by DailyMike; 6th April 2019 at 10:03 PM. Reason: sp error
Old 7th April 2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyMike View Post
Thanks, MikkiJayne!

Kind regards,

Mike.
Running the car on LPG shouldn't have any effect on the lambda sensors. As ainars says, replace them with new ones, as the pre-cat one's are a pain to get at (and you don't want to put a second hand one in only for it to fail soon afterwards). Admittedly, I did mine on a 3.7, so assuming the 4.2 layout is very similar.

BTW The only issue I ever had with running on LPG was about six months after I got the job done, as it kept reverting back to petrol. Was told at the time it was a faulty coil pack, but having experienced another faulty coil pack recently, I'm doubting that explanation now.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 7th April 2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Running the car on LPG shouldn't have any effect on the lambda sensors. As ainars says, replace them with new ones, as the pre-cat one's are a pain to get at (and you don't want to put a second hand one in only for it to fail soon afterwards). Admittedly, I did mine on a 3.7, so assuming the 4.2 layout is very similar.

BTW The only issue I ever had with running on LPG was about six months after I got the job done, as it kept reverting back to petrol. Was told at the time it was a faulty coil pack, but having experienced another faulty coil pack recently, I'm doubting that explanation now.
Thanks for your input, Steamship.

I was confident the Lambda performance wouldn't affect LPG, but thought I'd double-check. I'll speak to A8parts tomorrow morning about supplying new sensors and get them installed ASAP.

I'm desperate to get the A8 running properly, as I've ruptured my left Achilles tendon two weeks ago and it'll be a SIX CHUFFIN' MONTHS recovery with no weight-bearing on that foot for at least EIGHT WEEKS!!! Good job it's the left one and the A8's an automatic!

DailyMike

Previous vehicles: