A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 17th March 2016, 09:58 PM

Default CD changer problem

Hi everyone,

Bought my A8 around a month ago and found out pretty quick that the CD changer didn't work. Cut a long story short garage (non Audi) said they would replace it. I thought new but turned out there replacing it with a reconditioned one. Not a problem really as long as it works however when putting a CD in it plays track for 2 seconds and then whines over speakers for 2 secs and repeats constantly.
Although I turned it off after about 15sec from fear of damaging my CD. Is this a coding problem or something else. Even just another knackered changer?

Your help is appreciated
Old 17th March 2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8P View Post
Hi everyone,

Bought my A8 around a month ago and found out pretty quick that the CD changer didn't work. Cut a long story short garage (non Audi) said they would replace it. I thought new but turned out there replacing it with a reconditioned one. Not a problem really as long as it works however when putting a CD in it plays track for 2 seconds and then whines over speakers for 2 secs and repeats constantly.
Although I turned it off after about 15sec from fear of damaging my CD. Is this a coding problem or something else. Even just another knackered changer?

Your help is appreciated
Sounds like component protection to me, but could be wrong?

Have a search, it is a form of theft prevention that can only be disabled by the main dealer or an indie with the specific tools needed - sounds like the supplying garage will need to sort that for you
Old 18th March 2016, 06:32 AM

You cannot just swap the CD changer unless the replacement was purchased direct from Audi.

If you swap, then component protection kicks in and the CD changer behaves as described by the OP.

The only fix is to take the car to Audi and have them remove component protection. Some dealers are fussy and will only do it with a VAT receipt from the supplying dealer, others will do it. Either way its going to cost to have the CP removed.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 18th March 2016, 06:59 AM

Oh, and what is a "CD"
Old 18th March 2016, 08:49 AM

Ok thanks for the info. I will get on the supplying garage to sort it out for me. I ain't paying for it. It's a warranty issue.

Also Lee S I know what you mean. Who uses CDs right? Ha ha
The only reason I want it sorted is because i need it to complete a 5570 mmi update on the car which incidentally when I am finished doing it if anyone would like the cd set to do there car they are welcome to it.
Old 18th March 2016, 09:18 AM

A8P,
May I suggest that you hang on to the CDs, you just might change something in the future that will need software updates which prior to the change were not needed.
I gave my set of update CDs away when I had finished with them and am now thinking that a retrofit I have planned will need another software update.
Basically I am more experienced now than I was earlier, still a numpty but a bit more cautious

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 18th March 2016, 09:25 AM

So turns out Audi are going to charge £107.50 for getting the CD changer working. I have rang the garage that is dealing with my warranty and they are pretty sure they can do it with the equipment they have. Hmmmmm i hope so but i am skeptical.

Ill update shortly for anyone that has this problem in the future.
Old 18th March 2016, 09:28 AM

It's unlikely that they have the capability because if they did I would suspect that they would know about component protection and done it already but here's hoping for you.

Old 18th March 2016, 09:35 AM

I completely agree. Booked in for Tuesday. On the + side they have said that if they cant do it (seems i have placed enough doubt in there minds) they will take it along to the Audi garage and get it done there for me.
Old 18th March 2016, 10:11 AM

Ah ok, good idea. So maybe just lend them out to people who will take good care of them? Thanks for the heads up.