A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 3rd October 2014, 08:49 AM

Default 4 beeps from the alarm sounder when switching ignition on?

Anybody know what that's supposed to tell us? I'm assuming it's either the alarm module batteries dying, or the main battery. Car started fine and didn't do it again when restarted.

Car's gone off for gearbox oil change so my mate will read any stored faults while monitoring the gearbox oil temp, just wondered if anyone knew what the likely answer would be!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 3rd October 2014, 10:13 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's your alarm batteries on their death bed!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 3rd October 2014, 10:49 AM

Yeah, did a bit of reading around after this and looks like the most likely cause - new module to order then! Etka says it needs to be workshop modified, but it's not clear if that's because the bracket on the new alarm module doesn't fit the thread or some other reason. It seems to suggest there's 2 bolts, but Elsawin only talks about 1.....

Just hope TPS will take my unneeded tail shaft back for a refund so I can afford to buy a new module instead!!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 3rd October 2014, 11:26 AM

There's only one bolt on the alarm siren (which is where the batteries are housed). I think A8 Parts have one just now - the later design, but you'll need to check the state of the electrical plug connector too and perhaps get one of those from A8 Parts too.

If not, there's another thread on here with the newer part number and you'll probably find one on ebay. I've done it 3 times now, so give me a shout if you get stuck.

Edit: Part number for the newer siren is 8L0 951 605A

Edit 2: And there's one on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...+605A&_sacat=0
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).

Last edited by The_Laird; 3rd October 2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 3rd October 2014, 05:56 PM

Hiya

Have ordered a new one from TPS - unfortunately all has not gone well on the dismantling front! Followed the guide posted on here and I've accessed the alarm module OK

Is there a way to completely remove the side trim on the boot? Mine seems very reluctant to part company up by the back seat and ideally I'd like it completely off so I can improve access.

Got the old module out, but when I unplugged it the male part of the plug has fallen to pieces around the plastic 3rd pin. I can see that one of the contact pins is corroded, so I'm assuming acid has eaten away at the plastic

I know you can order a replacement plug, but I have no idea how many pieces it comes in and if it's even possible to disassemble it in situ and replace the plastic part?

It's my birthday tomorrow and being upside down in the boot trying to get to the wretched thing is not how I planned to spend the day

Old 3rd October 2014, 08:10 PM

I had the 4 beeps around 2 months ago. Oh well, alarm must be dead now.
I guess I'll have to tackle this too if for no other reason to remove the old batteries so they don't leak.

Happy Birthday Adrian
Old 3rd October 2014, 08:46 PM

Cheers Goran

I was quite surprised, given I've gone straight in there the 1st day I've heard the beeps, at how bad it already is. When I get a chance I'll chop the old one open to see what it's like inside but for now I just need to sort it so I can put the car back together to use on Sunday!

Hopefully the 3 pin connector will be in stock at TPS - looking online it appears possible to dismantle it fairly easily. I may try my old loom in the shed and see if I can find one to practice removing the pins on before I dive into the very short reach section in the boot I need to get to!

Old 3rd October 2014, 09:41 PM

Adrian, you can put everything back together without the alarm horn/siren in place, car still locks etc OK, just wont sound the alarm if its broken into, mine is currently without a horn/siren and its fine

ETA Happy Birthday for tomorrow

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 4th October 2014, 06:48 AM

This is the state externally of my alarm module and the wrecked plug

Looked online and it appears the plastic part of the case can be dismantled, so if I can grab one from TPS this morning I should be able to clean up the contact with spray cleaner, assuming I can get it out with the barbs intact!

I'm usually OK at doing stuff like this, but the limited access will certainly make it interesting....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4078.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	9186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4079.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	511.0 KB
ID:	9187  

Old 4th October 2014, 10:23 AM

Mine and Brian's were both like that. I managed to repair mine, but Brian's started to go off in the middle of the night. I got a couple of plugs and a longer length of wire from A8 Parts, so I plan to cut off the old plug and 'scotchlock' the new one on. I really doubt if there's room to fit a new plug and I haven't tried to get the side panel off.