A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 19th February 2014, 10:50 AM

Default Blower stopped working

Hi all, had a problem with no blower for ages as some of you know. Possibly due to the water drains under blower keep getting blocked and filling that area full of water.
Well during last yr A8 meet, had car put on a vcd, came up with heater error (blower).
Lucky enough Neil had a spare one in his unit, got steve to pick that up for me. After all this rain we have had, i have got fed up with putting pump in there, to keep draining the water out of front. So yesterday it went into the garage to be replaced. Blower to be swappe,d and the drain holes fully cleared and Modded.

Call today Blower was tested before fitted, works fine, Drain holes above gearbox cleared, ends cuts. Metal piping secured, and added to the end, to make drain longer and clear sound proofing, plus easyer to clean out if ever needed.

Problem is, blower still not working in car gggggrrrrrr. Any ideas???? next port of call is going to be the resistor blower control(hedgehog) as that could of been in the water also. Other than climate control unit? Unit lights up just no blower
Is the flap solinoid(bad spelling) in that front area also?

Last edited by A8 Owner; 20th February 2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 19th February 2014, 09:59 PM

Have you checked the relay under the wood panel in the front?

I know.. I know..

Old 20th February 2014, 01:08 PM

Well update i have been given is changed blower, also bought the hedgehog from A8 parts lastnight, All fitted
Still no Joy, So they have made a wire up with a light bulb on to check power from climate control. So the more they turn climate control up, the lighter the bulb goes.
There now taking back out the blowe,r i got off Neil. Then pulling my blower and Neil's apart, to see if there is a possible fix to be had. Looking at brush's.

Will also now ring them about this relay, just incase.
Thanks for info

Last edited by A8 Owner; 20th February 2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 21st February 2014, 09:58 AM

When my failed I took it apart to see if brushes can be replaved. There was not much life left in brushes but the slipring has worn through.It looks like brushes and slipring wear evenly and are finished about the same time so you cannot go through 2 or 3 sets of brushes on the same slipring like on most alternators.

It could be that it's a 1 off case or that brushes have already been replaced before but it looked untouched in past.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 27th March 2014, 07:26 PM

And the end result?