A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 10th March 2020, 07:13 AM

If the solenoids are there its anyone's guess as to where they might have been stashed. The proper way to do the swap is to flash the ECU with a manual file, and code the cluster and ABS to manual.

Cooling ducts would be thwarted by the whole space issue. There's barely any room to get the turbo pipework in there, as can be seen in that thread by the charge pipes running underneath the gearbox. Ducting may help if you could squeeze it in there, but it would take up valuable plumbing space.
Old 11th March 2020, 06:48 PM

I'm happy to report that the TCU in my car has been removed. So I'm guessing that the solenoids were also removed.

Interesting.....sounds like doing a twin turbo setup isn't worth the hassle especially trying to find a way to keep the turbos from cooking everything?
Old 27th July 2021, 08:45 PM

I stumbled across this supercharger kit and wondering if this would be a better choice then trying to find a used PES G4 kit?

My mods: Oxblood red interior, LED interior lights, D3 ignition coils, new window tint, tip steering wheel with new S8 emblem, mk1 TT steering wheel air bag, mk1 TT 6 speed shift knob, new shift boot.
Old 28th July 2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan View Post
I stumbled across this supercharger kit and wondering if this would be a better choice then trying to find a used PES G4 kit?
Since your plan is "I'm just looking to add some extra power" to your road car, does the Notice at the bottom of the page you linked to make that a no-no?

Quote - Off-road use ONLY: THIS PRODUCT IS FOR RACING COMPETITION ONLY AND IS NOT LEGAL FOR USE IN HIGHWAY OR STREET VEHICLES OR OTHER NON-RACING COMPETITION OFF-ROAD VEHICLES. BY PURCHASING THIS PRODUCT YOU ACKNOWLEDGE ITS INTENDED USE.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 28th July 2021, 09:48 AM

Worth noting that kit is for the Allroad 4.2 which is a chain-drive engine akin to the one in the B6 and is quite different to the D2's belt-drive V8. I suspect it would not be bolt-on to the belt 40V.
Old 28th July 2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Since your plan is "I'm just looking to add some extra power" to your road car, does the Notice at the bottom of the page you linked to make that a no-no?
That's just the company's disclaimer. I'm guessing there is probably a handful of these installed on vehicles here in America and bet they are being driven on public roads not "off-road."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Worth noting that kit is for the Allroad 4.2 which is a chain-drive engine akin to the one in the B6 and is quite different to the D2's belt-drive V8. I suspect it would not be bolt-on to the belt 40V.
I do know that the C5 allroad V8 engines are chain-drive. This JHM supercharger kit is mounted on the passenger side of the engine. I'm guessing to mount this on the belt-drive 40v V8 engines, it needs a custom mounting bracket made?

My mods: Oxblood red interior, LED interior lights, D3 ignition coils, new window tint, tip steering wheel with new S8 emblem, mk1 TT steering wheel air bag, mk1 TT 6 speed shift knob, new shift boot.
Old 29th July 2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan View Post
I'm guessing to mount this on the belt-drive 40v V8 engines, it needs a custom mounting bracket made?
Yes exactly. There's not much space round there on the D2 either so some stuff would need to be moved. I think someone has done a similar conversion on a D2 before and the blower ended up where the screenwash bottle goes. The bracket was a work of art, although the torque it would put on the engine block raised a few eyebrows. I can't find any photos unfortunately.

If I were going to put a centrifugal blower on a D2 I'd put it on the left hand side in place of the PS pump and AC compressor and convert both those to electrical versions instead.

Quote:
Off-road use ONLY: THIS PRODUCT IS FOR RACING COMPETITION ONLY AND IS NOT LEGAL FOR USE IN HIGHWAY OR STREET VEHICLES OR OTHER NON-RACING COMPETITION OFF-ROAD VEHICLES. BY PURCHASING THIS PRODUCT YOU ACKNOWLEDGE ITS INTENDED USE.
It probably also causes cancer in the state of California
Old 29th July 2021, 07:19 PM

Oh I forgot that you mentioned there is less space around the engine in the D2 compared to the C5.

Just wondering, what is the safe HP and TQ that these 40v D2 engines handle before you need to rebuild the engine with better rods and pistons?

Yeah fv*|< California as they think everything causes cancer! Heck back in June California was going to ban the sales of the new Porsche 911 GT3 and GT3 Touring with a manual transmission because of "noise regulations" and then a week later they changed their decision. Heck I bet California is the reason why new vehicles has soft rev limiters.

Last edited by Audifan; 31st July 2021 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10th August 2021, 09:27 PM

I've been having crazy thoughts and just wondering has anyone swapped in the 4.0t engine?

Old 10th August 2021, 09:32 PM

Its on my list of things to do, as soon as I can get my hands on one...