A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 4th April 2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
The silly thing is you cannot even go for a drive, even if you stay in the car all the time and only get out when you are back at home. Essential travel only. I cannot remember when was the last time I used Cabriolet for 'essential' travel.
Exactly!

Quote:
I would much prefer go for a drive in the isolation of my own car rather than go for a walk and try to zigzag between other people 'exercising' on the streets.
This^^^

I have spent more time crossing the road to avoid panting joggers than I have ever done in simply crossing the road for a practical purpose. In fact, the joggers idea of social distancing seems to be, "if you see me coming then you better get out of my way, because nothing is going to stop me from getting my run in", and there are absolutely oodles of people out on the streets now because we are all sick of being cooped up.

Down here in Australia, you can't travel in a car unless it is essential, you can't go fishing on your own, but you can wander the streets aimlessly, because it is considered exercise. People are doing that here in numbers that can only be described as congregating. And that is not an exaggeration. There are less people in my local supermarket than there are wandering down the footpath!

Also, the police are now stopping people to ask what their business is, and also targeting cars with lots of passengers in them to make sure that they are of the same household.
Old 4th April 2020, 10:55 AM

I've been walking on the lane to my village for more than a decade and there are more people out now than there have ever been. I counted 24 the other day, in 2 miles!

I'd encounter no other people at all driving to the workshop, but that doesn't count as exercise even though there is a gym there. The only time it becomes essential is when I'm there to fix a key worker's car - I can do that because garages are still allowed to open.

The fuzz are now stopping people round here too. The farmers are all leaving their pickups covered in mud as they don't get stopped then. I'm hoping my A6 is sufficiently muddy from the bad weather to also look like a farm truck
Old 4th April 2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The farmers are all leaving their pickups covered in mud as they don't get stopped then. I'm hoping my A6 is sufficiently muddy from the bad weather to also look like a farm truck
As far as I can see around here all hand car washes have been shut so it is either automated drive through or DIY. I expect to see a lot more dirty cars.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 5th April 2020, 07:03 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Coronavirus Rhapsody

------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 6th April 2020, 12:26 PM

I hope everyone is staying safe.

Sadly, this got a lot closer to home to me over the weekend. It was my friend Dean's birthday, he was 52 yesterday. Not a close friend, we worked together in the 90's and stayed in touch, last time I spoke to him was just before Christmas as he was agonising over how expensive it was getting with twin boys who are 13, same age as my son.

Unfortunately, Dean died on Thursday night of the Coronavirus. An otherwise well 51-year-old mortgage broker who didn't quite see 52. I found out yesterday, Dean's birthday, from a mutual friend and one that was closer to him than I.

Please all listen to what is being said. We need to get as many of us to the other side of this as possible. Sadly Dean won't be there with us.

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 6th April 2020, 08:38 PM

An awful thing for two 13 year old's to loose their dad, and also for their family and friends, so very sad
Old 7th April 2020, 02:12 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Sorry to hear about your friend Davey. That's very sad news.

I think the sobering reality is that, even if each and every member on here escapes this virus (and I sincerely hope we ALL do), that it's likely we will have all lost a friend or family member to the virus by the time it's over.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 7th April 2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 7th April 2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Sorry to hear about your friend Davey. That's very sad news.

I think the sobering reality is that, even if each and every member on here escapes this virus (and I sincerely hope we ALL do), that it's likely we will have all lost a friend or family member to the virus by the time it's over.
Yes, thanks, was a real shock and so sad. No underlying health issues as far as I know. The family were not allowed near him nor will there be a funeral to attend for him. Terrible times, especially as he was such a good egg. I have no idea what his family must be going through right now.

His death has been reported now

https://www.covermagazine.co.uk/news...-away-covid-19

See ya mate

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.

Last edited by Davey Blueeyes; 7th April 2020 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11th April 2020, 07:04 AM

That's a real downer Dave... Chin up mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
As far as I can see around here all hand car washes have been shut so it is either automated drive through or DIY. I expect to see a lot more dirty cars.
Funny story about that. Down here the self serve pressure and soapy brush car washes are still open.
So a bloke at work finishes late at night the other night and does his usual weekly call in to the deserted car wash bay to give his car the once over...
So the local divisional van pulls up and Mr Plod and Miss Cop step out and ask him what he's doing...
"I'm washing my car on my way home from work".
That not essential they say and slap him with a $1600 fine...
"So why is the Car Wash open then?"
They didn't have an answer for that one, but issued the fine anyway...

One to challenge in court I think!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 11th April 2020, 07:56 AM

Here they just send you home, if you don't comply it's £60 fine for first time, reduced to £30 if you pay within 14 days. For repeat offenders it doubles each time up to max of £960.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure