A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 20th May 2020, 11:53 AM

Red face A8 D2 Track Control Arms Replacement

Hi All. I am hoping someone can help me going round in circles. I have an Audi A8 Quattro 2.8 2002, that's been sat on the drive for a very long time. Not a daily driver just an ornament on the drive that the other half would love to see the back of. Anyway, with the current climate I have decided that this will now be my primary hobby and this car is going back on the road. That's the plan.

I have a whole host of jobs to do on it so I am guessing I will be needing a lot more help from this forum in the future.

Issue 1. I am replacing the suspension units and hit a bit of a part number wall. The issue is primarily with the lower front track control arms. The 'original' arm on the car has a part listing 4D0407155N and I cannot seem to source an equivalent. I keep coming up with 4D0407551's in all my searches. I have contacted Mister Auto and Lemforder and both have related back to 4D0407551. Further digging with Lemforder and they quote that their parts relate to cars with up to 18inch rims. Mine are the 20 Inch ones that came with the car when new. Can any of you guys throw any light on whether there is a difference to the track control arms on 20inch rims?

Sorry for the ramble.
Old 20th May 2020, 12:27 PM

Try Meyle HD to see if they now make an equivalent part - annoyingly Audi specced a larger balljoint on cars that left the factory with 20" rims. It makes it amusing if 20s have been retrofitted as they'll have the 18" spec parts......

At the last time of looking those specific arms were OEM only, but worth checking Meyle as the most likely source of a replacement

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 20th May 2020, 12:42 PM

MikkiJayne is the best person to answer your question. While you wait for her response, jump across to the Introductions sections and introduce yourself.

Despite us all owning/owned A8s, we always like to see others peoples A8s as well. Also, to make things easier to get answers to questions in the future, change your signature in your user control panel to include some relevant details about the car.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 20th May 2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummagnet View Post
Can any of you guys throw any light on whether there is a difference to the track control arms on 20inch rims?
Both lower control arms are different on factory 20" cars as they have larger tapers on the outer balljoints. They are both discontinued from Lemforder and TRW (the OE manufacturers) however the lower rears are still available from the Meyle HD range. They have a listing specifically for the 20" version.

The lower front for 20" is not available from anyone, however is dimensionally identical to the pre-facelift version. Unfortunately none of the parts catalogues seem to know this and all insist it doesn't exist (and that the PF one doesn't fit).

You can't buy these as a kit so you have to piece the set together from individual parts. I don'thave time to find part numbers right now, but I'm sure I've posted them before so hopefully some searching / google-fu will find it. Or have a look at the Meyle online catalogue, using a 1998 D2 to find the lower front, and 00> for everything else.

(yes I know FL was from 99, but the first 500 FLs had a weird suspension setup so 00> is foolproof)
Old 20th May 2020, 03:02 PM

Thankyou Steamship. I am a bit newbie to this forum thingie. I did join a good few years ago but mainly for info. I have not attempted anything in earnest with this car until now. Apologies for lack of etiquette.
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 20th May 2020, 03:06 PM

Many thanks MikkiJayne. Looks like I am now disappearing down the right Rabbit hole. Most appreciated.
Old 12th June 2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Both lower control arms are different on factory 20" cars as they have larger tapers on the outer balljoints. They are both discontinued from Lemforder and TRW (the OE manufacturers) however the lower rears are still available from the Meyle HD range. They have a listing specifically for the 20" version.

The lower front for 20" is not available from anyone, however is dimensionally identical to the pre-facelift version. Unfortunately none of the parts catalogues seem to know this and all insist it doesn't exist (and that the PF one doesn't fit).

You can't buy these as a kit so you have to piece the set together from individual parts. I don'thave time to find part numbers right now, but I'm sure I've posted them before so hopefully some searching / google-fu will find it. Or have a look at the Meyle online catalogue, using a 1998 D2 to find the lower front, and 00> for everything else.

(yes I know FL was from 99, but the first 500 FLs had a weird suspension setup so 00> is foolproof)
I managed to sort the parts from Meyle. There seems to be some cheaper alternatives but decided to stick with this:

1 off MEYLE 116 050 8293/HD TRACK CONTROL ARM Front RH,Rear,Upper
1 off MEYLE 116 050 8292/HD TRACK CONTROL ARM Front LH,Rear,Upper
1 off MEYLE 116 050 0140/HD TRACK CONTROL ARM Front RH,Lower,Rear
1 off MEYLE 116 050 0139/HD TRACK CONTROL ARM Front LH,Lower,Rear
2 off MEYLE 116 050 8228/HD TRACK CONTROL ARM Front,Front LH,Front RH,Lower
2 off MEYLE 116 050 8239/HD TRACK CONTROL ARM Front,Front LH,Front RH,Upper
2 off MEYLE 116 060 0006 ROD/STRUT STABILISER FRONT LH,FRONT RH

All works spot on for 2002 Audi A8 Quattro Sport with Factory 20" Alloys.

Thanks all.