A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 2nd April 2020, 07:57 PM

Default Lockdown - Stay Home and Make Stuff. . .

I'm using this extended period at home to get on with all the little stuff I've been meaning to do for ages but can't normally find the time for because I'm in the workshop. The 3d printers are working hard.

What's this?

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 10th April 2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old 2nd April 2020, 08:11 PM

Is that for door speakers?

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 2nd April 2020, 08:41 PM

It certainly is 6.5" speakers in the front doors
Old 6th April 2020, 01:28 PM

That's brilliant! Well done.

Can we have lower fog light grills next??

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 6th April 2020, 02:31 PM

I'll consider doing the foglight grilles if Tradition stop making them, but for now its not worth the effort as they are a really complicated shape to model and / or scan.
Old 7th April 2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I'll consider doing the foglight grilles if Tradition stop making them, but for now its not worth the effort as they are a really complicated shape to model and / or scan.
I was joking, I'd have no idea how you'd even start given their shape. How much do Audi Tradition charge for them?? Are they like hand sanitizer money??

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 7th April 2020, 11:27 AM

Not quite that much I think they were £100 or so each.

Of course it does depend how long lockdown lasts and whether I run out of things to model. Printer filament is getting very scarce in the UK as we've turned most of it in to medical hardware, and of course it's largely made in China so there are no more supplies inbound. I'm having to be a tad more circumspect printing ad-hoc prototypes of things.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 7th April 2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 7th April 2020, 03:02 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
So only about 10 rolls of Andrex then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L_rWdU9m3I

------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 7th April 2020 at 03:18 PM.
Old 7th April 2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:

Of course, it does depend how long lockdown lasts and whether I run out of things to model. Printer filament is getting very scarce in the UK as we've turned most of it in to medical hardware, and of course it's largely made in China so there are no more supplies inbound. I'm having to be a tad more circumspect printing ad-hoc prototypes of things.
We have just bought 5 litres of hand gel in 50 x 100ml bottles for £99. Its disgraceful companies are profiteering like that.

By the way, for context, I have a care service. The local distillers reckon they can produce it and sell it to us for £7 a litre in 5-litre bottles. Still, about 10 times more than we would normally pay.

We can't get masks for any amount of money. The army (yes, ARMY) delivered 300 to us free of charge a couple of weeks ago. They lasted us about 2.5 days. Anyhoo, let's not hijack a wonderful thread!

Old 7th April 2020, 06:36 PM

There's an open-source face mask design here using cotton fabric, pipe cleaners and shoe laces: https://www.patreon.com/posts/mrks-no-pattern-35679762

Obviously its not up to N95 standards for front line workers, but cotton supposedly captures 70% of aerosol particle transmission which is considerably better than nothing.

Given the shortage of priner filament, I decided to try and recover some of my older filaments. It is hygroscopic and so doesn't take well to sitting around in the house, especially given the winter we've just had. Ideal humidity for storing filament is <20% but my office has got to 40% over the winter and so most of my old filament is toast and I can't simply replace it now.

The solution? A cheap food dehydrator from Amazon

I cut the middle out of all the food trays so a roll of filament sits inside. Its been running all day at 50C and is now 10% humidity inside. A few hours of that should allow all the moisture to come out of the filament and then I'll store it with silica gel to make sure it stays dry. I shall test the dired filament tomorrow and see if it works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200407_184727.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	23105  

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 7th April 2020 at 06:45 PM.