A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 13th December 2013, 11:51 AM

Default Windshield in heat-insulating glass

I have according to my PR codes

Windshield in heat-insulating glass withsunshield and viewing window for vehicleidentification number

so what does that mean - in audi terms is heat insulated glass nesasarily athermic glass with the thin metal layer ?

reason for asking is i have a toll tag for use in france, and the indtructions say place it in the grey area near the mirror, which of course in an a8 is completely taken up by the gubbins behind the centre mirror

anyone know or have used a toll tag on a D3 before
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 13th December 2013, 01:43 PM

I assume your windscreen has the pink/purple'ish tint? That the IR reflecting glass. Or if its just clear from any tint, then it should work fine.

Usually there is a patch each side of the gubbins behind the mirror which is clear from the IR effect where one can stick the toll tag for this very reason.

Otherside, you'll have to stick your hand out the window or sunroof when approaching the barrier
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 13th December 2013, 01:49 PM

No sunroof, thought of that,

dont think theres a pinkish tinge, im a bit colour blind so there could be, and def no shaded part as in the description,

but ive been looking around and their are audi PR codes for windshield with metal layer , which is def the athermic, mines not so hopefully i wont be trying to hold it out of the window when approaching the lane.
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 13th December 2013, 01:52 PM

I have this glass in D2, which this coupled with windscreen heating feature. And there was no shaded area around rear view mirror transparent to radio waves since on D2 mirror is attached to ceiling, so complete aria of windscreen is not transparent for radio waves.

When I drove in France with key tag I used to open window and hold the radio tag in my hand outside the car. It only worked that way.

If on D3 mirror is attached to windscreen you may have shaded area around it which is not "heat insulated" and sensor will work if attached in that area.
Old 13th December 2013, 01:59 PM

the mirror is attached to the roof and the gubbins behind it goes back to the window but ive no shaded area,

if worst comes to worst at least i know i can hold it out the window

their tolls have got quite large bits that stick out at the sides so she cant reach the ticket machine without leaning far out, im hoping this will make it much easier as well as saving time

theres a good deal on at the moment, if you book a crossing on the eurotunnel they wave the 20 quid fee for the unit, so all it costs is the toll charges and maximum of 10 euros a year.

Old 13th December 2013, 02:00 PM

There should only be an issue with a toll tag if your windscreen is infrared-reflective, and on the A8/S8 it will be a deep pink/purple colour if this is the case.

Most new S-Class' have IR-reflective glass all round, and on those there is a clear patch in the driver's side window in line with the side mirror is that you can hold the tag (or garage door remote) up to and it won't be blocked by the glass, so I'm surprised Audi haven't done anything similar
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 13th December 2013, 02:02 PM

the blurb doesnt mention IR glass just athermic glass which is the thin metal layer one, mines a 2005 model so maybe ive got nothing at all

Old 13th December 2013, 02:14 PM

IR screen would look like this. A rich purple/pink colour:

Anything other than this shouldn't have an issue...
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 13th December 2013, 02:37 PM

you can see my screen im signiture, it doesnt look pink to me

Old 14th December 2013, 05:22 PM

mine has the same code and it's a little purple from certain angles, not as much as in that picture though.