A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 8th April 2014, 07:53 AM

Default Roof Box

I'm thinking about getting some roof bars to carry the bikes and a roof box but there don't seem to be any good options for roof bars.

I got all thule kit at the moment that won't fit the 8 and Thule they don't seem to list anything for the A8 after 2002.

Anyone got a set of roof bars for their 8?

And pics of a A8 with a roof box would be good, just wondering what people are using and how it looks, size wize on the 8.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 8th April 2014, 09:03 AM

I have pics of my 8 with genuine bars and box somewhere, i'll fish them out.

Edit: Just realised this is for D3, sorry

Bright yellow bus o love.

Last edited by Dezzy; 8th April 2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 8th April 2014, 11:01 AM

Try whispbar for alternative to Thule. Would be very surprised if Thule don't have a d3 option as usually they make audi's branded ones too

I have a black Thule roof box (Atlantic 780 iirc) but as Dezzy it's on a d2!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 8th April 2014, 11:14 AM

oddly thule don't list anything past 2002.

Just looked at the Wishpa bars, they are like £280 for a set of bars.

I might just get a trailer and use my tow bar at that price.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 8th April 2014, 01:23 PM

They are cheaper form here, and depending what you want much cheaper for the steel bars.
LINK
your Thule roof box will fit the bars though no?

Old 8th April 2014, 01:33 PM

The box is over 7 foot long, It should do but I'm starting to question having a roof box.

I keep forgetting I got a tow bar, so I could use that for the bikes and luggage (in a trailer).
Old 8th April 2014, 01:35 PM

They are cheaper form here, and depending what you want much cheaper for the steel bars. Genuine bars can be bought from Stoke Audi for £226 inc VAT
LINK
Genuine Audi

Last edited by Dezzy; 9th April 2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 8th April 2014, 07:16 PM

Depends how quickly you want them, but I have seen genuine roof bars pop up on ebay where i got mine. The going rate seemd to be about £50.

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain
Old 9th April 2014, 06:55 AM

Thinking on it more, I'll keep my eyes open for the ebay ones cause it could be a handy thing to have but I don't think I'll go down the same route as I did with the A4.
Old 9th April 2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
The box is over 7 foot long, It should do but I'm starting to question having a roof box.

I keep forgetting I got a tow bar, so I could use that for the bikes and luggage (in a trailer).
The 8 is a really good tow car. I've used mine to tow allsorts from a Land Rover to a little camping trailer. It will also take away the risk of scratching the car while lifting bikes on the roof.
The only thing i will say is if you have or buy a little trailer they are a nightmare to reverse, the 8 is a wide car and the trailers arn't and if it's one of those camping type tralers you'll just not be able to see it.
Trailer storage the other end can be a pain too with regards to security, but i took the wheels and ball hitch off and threw them in the boot.