A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 9th May 2014, 02:28 PM

Default Annual service time again - and tyres

Because I do so few miles it's always on an annual basis (done about 4,500 in 12 months) but since I got away with just an oil change and new rear discs and pads last year I'm treating the old thing a bit!

It's booked in next Friday at Camspec for inspection service with cabin filters, brake fluid change and a proper air-con service including antibacterial treatment as it's a bit wiffy sometimes.

Just ordered 2 Michelin Super Sports to complete the set I started in September, although annoyingly the ones I bought then were apparently only produced for a short time and were replaced in October last year! Found a bargain price though - £186 a corner incl delivery from mytyres.co.uk

I'm also getting a front wheel refurbished as it's been chipped by flying debris since it was done in September

I will finally be getting rid of the original Michelin Pilot Sport directional tyre that's been on the spare since the car was new! I figure 12 years old isn't great even for a spare - I'm sure someone less fussy will pay good money for it on ebay! The Pilot Sport 2s that are coming off the car will be assessed and the best will go on the spare and I'll have one left to either store in the loft or sell on. It's got a good 4mm of tread on it I think.

Fingers crossed nothing crops up that's unexpected

A

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 10th May 2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Because I do so few miles it's always on an annual basis (done about 4,500 in 12 months) but since I got away with just an oil change and new rear discs and pads last year I'm treating the old thing a bit!

It's booked in next Friday at Camspec for inspection service with cabin filters, brake fluid change and a proper air-con service including antibacterial treatment as it's a bit wiffy sometimes.

Just ordered 2 Michelin Super Sports to complete the set I started in September, although annoyingly the ones I bought then were apparently only produced for a short time and were replaced in October last year! Found a bargain price though - £186 a corner incl delivery from mytyres.co.uk

I'm also getting a front wheel refurbished as it's been chipped by flying debris since it was done in September

I will finally be getting rid of the original Michelin Pilot Sport directional tyre that's been on the spare since the car was new! I figure 12 years old isn't great even for a spare - I'm sure someone less fussy will pay good money for it on ebay! The Pilot Sport 2s that are coming off the car will be assessed and the best will go on the spare and I'll have one left to either store in the loft or sell on. It's got a good 4mm of tread on it I think.

Fingers crossed nothing crops up that's unexpected

A
Good luck.

Mines in for its very first MOT. I know one of the headlamp cleaners doesn't work. So I'm expecting some hassle ...

I've put 7,000 miles on mine since I bought it in September ...
Old 10th May 2014, 01:55 PM

I am in a similar position, have just ordered a full set of tyres while I am re-furbing the alloys. Even though the TPMS keeps falling over (I expect low batteries) I cannot see a cost-effective solution unless I buy the American sets with their own programming tool. They look ok, but don't fancy the risk. I will get the TPMS diabled in VCDS to shut it up.

My low mileage also kills on the services - feels wrong having a service every 4500-5500 miles when it can do 20000 on a longlife service.

Did your service light indicate that it was due due to the mileage or does it not cope with that as it is supposed to ake into accoutn driving style, frequency and distance (or so I thought)
Green Alcantara Headlining, Pillars, Rear Shelf, Door Inserts
Green Trimmed Mats, Seatbelts, Steering Wheel, Centre Armrests
DAB, Freeview, ACC, 4-Zone Climate, Soft Close, Electric Blinds

Old 10th May 2014, 02:03 PM

I've put 17,000 on mine since I bought it in June.
Old 10th May 2014, 02:55 PM

I have just had mine in this week for a full engine service plus new discs(385mm on the front) and pads. Also a full gearbox service and some coolant pipes replaced as i was loosing coolant somewhere under the bonnet.
Also had a fault with the rear parking brake and found out my caliper was seized so had to have it refurbished.
All cost me a large sum of money but it all needed doing.
Old 10th May 2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenjoe90 View Post
All cost me a large sum of money but it all needed doing.
Similarly here, in for 2 days for a major service last week; cambelt with all the bits (water pump, tensioners, V-belt etc.) and had to replace a rear caliper as well and they are a stupid price.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 10th May 2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAM View Post
Did your service light indicate that it was due due to the mileage or does it not cope with that as it is supposed to ake into accoutn driving style, frequency and distance (or so I thought)
The D2 just displays mileage till due, but it's also time based. I took mine off longlife a long time ago, but still use a suitable oil that could be longlife capable.

Mine is now saying 100 miles till due even though it's done 4,500 miles roughly since the last service on 20th May last year, so it just accelerates the miles to go till service as you get to the annual date.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 13th May 2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
Good luck.

Mines in for its very first MOT. I know one of the headlamp cleaners doesn't work. So I'm expecting some hassle ...

I've put 7,000 miles on mine since I bought it in September ...

MOT passed ! yay. One advice on the cracked headlight. No comment on the non-working headlamp squirter. I'm not going to look too close as I don't think they add much value anyway. So I'm green for another year. Oil service is due in another 5,000 miles. Happy camper!
Old 13th May 2014, 12:22 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
I ordered me a couple of them as well....bargain! Might get another 2 to keep in the garage at that price...

Z

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 13th May 2014, 03:51 PM

Expect them to take at least a week to arrive! I ordered mine on Friday and the payment didn't clear till Monday, then they were shipped late yesterday. Estimated delivery is a week from now....

They are blinkin' cheap though! Even compared to the £230 I paid in September for a pair