A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 14th March 2014, 10:04 AM

Default Four weeks, two faults...

Okay, my D3 is going in for some work for the second time in the 4 weeks since I bought the thing. The first was for leaky windscreen washers (which, to be fair, I knew about from the off). This time, however, I've got the coolant warning up on the dash, the temp gauge is not working and the rad fans are whirring like crazy all the time.

Sigh.

The first time it did this I was a couple of miles from home so risked it and completed the journey - by the time I had got there, it had reset itself, the gauge started working and there were no problems (the car was definitely not overheating at the time). As it seemed to be okay, I booked the car in for a few days hence, however it has now done it again and has stayed that way.

I'm thinking it's probably just the sensor and I've asked them to replace it regardless. Any thoughts?

Just hoping that this isn't a sign of things to come - I don't object to spending a couple of grand a year keeping this thing on the road and I expect a few niggles in a 10 year-old car, but I would like to be able to go a few months between garage visits if at all possible...!

Okay, I'll quit whining now
Old 14th March 2014, 12:29 PM

I've had mine 3 and a half months, I've had to fix the air suspension, exhaust flexi joints, had cambelt etc. changed, alarm siren replaced, and now have an issue somewhere drivetrain related and a leaking screenwash pipe or motor. I've not really spent that much fixing broken things, but it seems to have more issues than the 13 years old D2 which just keeps going.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 14th March 2014, 12:40 PM

I wish I could say the same for the D2 4.2 I used to have - it turned into a real money pit after a while which is why I got rid of it.

Having said that, I still find myself tempted to buy another one. There's this little voice in the back of my head saying "a spare 8 would be a nice thing to have"
Old 14th March 2014, 02:19 PM

I've got two until Sunday when the new owner collects the old D2. I drove it this morning, first time its been on the road in more than 3 months. For some reason it feels quicker than the D3, and dare I say it a better drive.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 14th March 2014, 02:57 PM

They are old and complex cars, things are bound to go wrong.

However, you are both in recently bought cars, doesn't matter how old it is, there will always be teething issues and niggles, they're probably the reason the previous owners sold.

Get over those initial hurdles and niggles and hopefully you'll then have a beautiful car you can rely on
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 14th March 2014, 06:38 PM

Thanks mate. That's indeed my hope. I love the car, so it's worth some effort and expense...
Old 14th March 2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tersono View Post
Having said that, I still find myself tempted to buy another one. There's this little voice in the back of my head saying "a spare 8 would be a nice thing to have"
I bet that little voice would get louder if you found a D2 that was already all sorted, like mine

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 15th March 2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post
I bet that little voice would get louder if you found a D2 that was already all sorted, like mine
Aargh! Don't tempt me -the wife would kill me!
Old 23rd March 2014, 03:06 PM

FWIW I've had this sorted now. It was indeed a faulty sensor. No other fault codes showing so hopefully things will be clear for a while now. Seriously loving the car...