A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 14th November 2016, 08:37 AM

Default Front brake pads (not carbon)

Hello all

I need to buy some front pads, anyone know of any deals on at the moment that I could be pointed to or perhaps a recommended seller?
Anything to prevent WL Audi getting my money LOL!

Thanks

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 14th November 2016, 09:52 AM

Trying to do likewise for my D2 S8. I have tried to source Brembo pads and ECP etc cant seem to provide them although they can provide Brembos for the rear (lucas!) calipers The Brembo site shows their suppliers for this area as Halfords tho' when I asked Halfords they cannot source them as "the computer says no" - they can provide only Valeo (made in India) and Pagid! I do realise this is a D3 thread so sorry for this inappropriate and unhelpful post. Just wanted to get it off my chest!
Old 14th November 2016, 10:08 AM

I'd only go for OEM pads these days after a very bad experience with one of the "reputable" alternative suppliers. I actually lost blocks of pad material from the front brakes, detached from the backing plate!
It was on the inner pads (both sides!) so not visible, but the much reduced braking was very obvious as there was only one block of material one side of the disc.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 14th November 2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I'd only go for OEM pads these days after a very bad experience with one of the "reputable" alternative suppliers. I actually lost blocks of pad material from the front brakes, detached from the backing plate!
It was on the inner pads (both sides!) so not visible, but the much reduced braking was very obvious as there was only one block of material one side of the disc.
You know what I think you are right, I will just pay Audi and go OEM. What am I messing around for.

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 14th November 2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audidothat View Post
You know what I think you are right, I will just pay Audi and go OEM. What am I messing around for.
Wait a sec tho'. I am not sure what the D3 brake system is but Audi and others use, for example, Ferodo or other makes as OEM fitment and put their logos on it. I would recommend finding out who the OEM manufacturer is and buy their stuff without the Audi premium. Thats why I am looking at Brembo pads for mine.
Old 14th November 2016, 03:18 PM

Default Brake pads for D3 S8

I would recommend EBC yellow stuff pads if your are using steel disks and are hard on brakes like me. They worked well for me at Castle Coombe track day after bedding in. The others who were present can testify to the hard stops and smell of pads in the paddock!

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automoti...2006-2011/1008

Cheers

Richardracer
2006 Audi S8 V10 Now Sold. Akoya Silver with black/grey leather, standard 20" wheels, hybrid TV, Bang & Olufssen audio, Heated seats front and rear, Dension ipod integration, DAB radio, keyless entry, rear electric blind, bluetooth connection to Apple iphone6S. Started at 60,000 miles end April 12. Now 171,500 miles as at Oct 2017. Now sold to fellow forum member.
Old 14th November 2016, 06:00 PM

Audis stock brake supplier aside from high end Brenna cars and ceramics is Textar - who? Those that make pads and are available on ecp website

They have been suppliers of OEM stock pads for some 20+ years
Old 14th November 2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardracer View Post
I would recommend EBC yellow stuff pads if your are using steel disks and are hard on brakes like me. They worked well for me at Castle Coombe track day after bedding in. The others who were present can testify to the hard stops and smell of pads in the paddock!

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automoti...2006-2011/1008

Cheers

Richardracer
Thank you, a quick question. I do not track my car but have put 30,000 long distance miles on it in a year, including some spirited driving across Europe. Would Redstuff pads be more suitable? I do tend to brake late-ish but do not want a grabby brake.
I would also like to avoid squeal which I have heard is a EBC problem, any experience of that in normal UK use?

The EBC pads and disc combo price is great!

Old 14th November 2016, 07:08 PM

Default EBC brakes

I do not normally track my S8 but
I am hard on my brakes. The yellow stuff pads are not grabby but I do get occasional squealing when cold. I have never tried red stuff pads, so can't give you any feedback. My yellow stuff pads have worn wel, over 30,000 miles, mostly motorway cruising. Hope that helps.

Richardracer
2006 Audi S8 V10 Now Sold. Akoya Silver with black/grey leather, standard 20" wheels, hybrid TV, Bang & Olufssen audio, Heated seats front and rear, Dension ipod integration, DAB radio, keyless entry, rear electric blind, bluetooth connection to Apple iphone6S. Started at 60,000 miles end April 12. Now 171,500 miles as at Oct 2017. Now sold to fellow forum member.
Old 14th November 2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardracer View Post
I do not normally track my S8 but
I am hard on my brakes. The yellow stuff pads are not grabby but I do get occasional squealing when cold. I have never tried red stuff pads, so can't give you any feedback. My yellow stuff pads have worn wel, over 30,000 miles, mostly motorway cruising. Hope that helps.

Richardracer
Great feedback and thanks for the direct link.