A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 5th September 2013, 10:06 AM

I was once stopped for speeding coming down Montgomery Street, Eaglesham, doing 44mph on my pushbike. Cop had the radar gun pointing at me, pulled me over gave me a lecture and then we had a good laugh at the thought of a bike doing that speed. I was 15 at the time

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 5th September 2013, 01:59 PM

Never braved that speed on Montgomery Street, the surface is too shoddy...

I know.. I know..

Old 21st September 2013, 07:47 PM

Been getting some longer journeys in in preparation for the 100+ miles I'm doing soon. Last weekend I left home and cycled to Torrance, Lennoxtown, Crow Road over the Campsie Hills to Fintry, Kippen then onto Stirling where I met up with a mate for lunch, then home via Denny, Kilsyth, Kirkintilloch, Springburn and back to Glasgow. A total of 74.56 miles and elevation gain of 4114.

Today I decided that I needed to MTFU and do a real route so cycled out to Kilsyth and took a left onto the famous Tak-Ma-Doon Road, a brute of a climb out of Kilsyth heading towards Fintry. Once over the top and rattling down the other side at around 38mph and in the distance I saw what I thought was some water at the bottom where the road starts on the incline again.

Do I need to slow down? (I'm doing 38mph and don't want to)
It's only some runoff from the fields, I'll keep the speed up and get up the other side a darned sight quicker and easier
Sheet...that doesn't look quite right maybe I should be applying the braaaaaakkkkeeeesss

I decided at the last minute to slam on the anchors as something looked wrong with this water crossing the road, just as well as it was a ford made up with all sorts of cobbles and stones and was so uneven and sippery I almost went on my neck walking over it. I can just imagine the damage that would have caused if I had hit it at 40+mph

Just short of reaching Fintry I turned left and headed over the Campsie Hills towards Glasgow again, by now I was cycling in the clouds and getting rather wet. A stop at Big Al's at Wheelcraft for a coffee and a quick visit at my mother-in-laws at Milngavie then back to the house via the city centre. Shame it started pouring down when I reached the Clydeside and by the time I made it home I was a little soggy.

Today's total was 56.2 miles with an elevation gain of 3743 feet

Old 26th September 2013, 08:32 PM

Don't understand pleasure of riding bike here as you have to drive on the same road with cars. Potholes everywhere.

I had Colnago bike before moving to the UK. Miss it.
Old 26th September 2013, 08:37 PM

That's part of the fun. stops you getting bored watching for all the holes and crap on the road, and trying not to get run over when you swerve round a pothole

I know.. I know..

Old 27th September 2013, 05:24 PM

I really need to get back out on a bike. I used to bike all the time, but with work 'n all it ends up far better to drive to work now rather than bike otherwise the day gets really long when I stop back.

If I can maybe bike a couple of days, it might be better and I can get a bit of fitness back as biking is great for getting stammina built up.

I did start biking to work, but the condition of the roads around here is horrendous, and made it impossible so I felt the need to buy a second bike. Maybe I should ride it...
Green Alcantara Headlining, Pillars, Rear Shelf, Door Inserts
Green Trimmed Mats, Seatbelts, Steering Wheel, Centre Armrests
DAB, Freeview, ACC, 4-Zone Climate, Soft Close, Electric Blinds

Old 29th September 2013, 05:13 PM

Yesterday I managed to break my first imperial century...my cherry is well and truly broken

111.75 miles with an elevation gain of 9388 feet and I managed to burn of some 5500 calories.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Route.png
Views:	238
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	6744   Click image for larger version

Name:	ELevation.png
Views:	240
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	6745  

Old 30th September 2013, 11:20 AM

Looks like a fun ride

I know.. I know..

Old 2nd October 2013, 05:04 PM

It was a good workout Richard though I'm not sure I would do the extra loop next time as the road was rougher than a badgers a***

Getting ready

Daughter and myself ready for the off...

And we're away...well I am

1st climb of the day behind me now just past Glenfinnan

54 miles on and the sun was out so time to get rid of the windstopper & leggins and don the Scottish National Champion Jersey

and I can still raise a smile

Finally this was the picture that made me decide it was time to diet

Old 2nd December 2013, 11:26 AM

Now that the colder/wetter weather is here I decided I needed to update the N+1 theory and bought myself a single speed bike with a flip flop wheel. The idea being that it will be less to maintain as the salt makes a right mess of expensive gears. I've now had the single speed for 4 weeks and managed to ride 480 miles with 27,000 feet of elevation on 70.2" 48T-18T gears and it's great fun. I did flip the wheel onto fixed for a breif time but trying to clip and unclip the SPD shoes in Glasgow traffic proved too much of a problem so I'm back to riding single speed until I change the pedals in the springtime.

Mudguards were supplied and I have now fitted them.
Ballageigh in autumn

Last week I had to attend a wedding in the Highlands so the S/S went with me
Friday was a nice calm day so I decided to try a TT route and surprised myself that I was not the slowest to have cycled this stretch of the road

Saturday I decided to go along one of the many picturesque Scottish glens, a ride of 14 miles out and 14 miles back, however at 5 miles out the road deteriorates to the point that a mountain bike would be required so I turned around to head back. The outward bound journey had some good steep climbs and kept me warm even though the temperature was just below freezing but the return ride was mostly downhill and by the time I arrived back home I was frozen to the bone. Still worth it for the scenery though