A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Spotless

Spotless For all your cleaning discussions....

Old 14th February 2009, 06:41 AM

Agree with Mike; the paint on these beasts are tough IIRC Mike uses Menzerna Power Gloss for paint correction and defect removal as do I. This product has a high cutting ability and it still takes quite a new of passes with a rotary polisher to get rid of swirls!
Failing that you could always wet sand if there were not many defects.
Old 17th February 2009, 01:13 PM
harpersimon

Mine will just be washed well I'm afraid.!
Spending all day detailing then driving to work down the M6 in the p*ssing rain and roadworks would just depress me too much!
Old 17th February 2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figure_11 View Post
Bill,

Unless you can see undercoat and feel the scratches with your nail as you GENTLY drag it across the paint there is a good chance it could be recovered.
I think mine fits that nicely, previous owner (one of my bosses) was not the most popular fellow. Bad keymarks and all sorts including the encounter with the Fiesta, and the bush in the carpark that on calm days sits above my boot but when it got windy flapped about and scratched it to whotsit. "oh bloody clucking, sodding, bloody clucking, bloody clucking ar$eholes" was heard to echo about the school.

I'll put some pics up later and you'll see what I mean.

Bill

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.
Old 17th March 2009, 10:53 PM

Default Bl**dy swirls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska View Post
Agree with Mike; the paint on these beasts are tough IIRC Mike uses Menzerna Power Gloss for paint correction and defect removal as do I. This product has a high cutting ability and it still takes quite a new of passes with a rotary polisher to get rid of swirls!
Failing that you could always wet sand if there were not many defects.

I made a tentative attempt on the boot area of my S8 using Meg's SwirlX last weekend with a rotary (not a G220) and wasn't too impressed. I used Meg's products to wash the car, then kept the speed relatively low on the rotary and went over the same area 3 times with SwirlX. It didn't do much. Does anybody know if SwirlX is a weak cutting compound? I did get a good shine using Meguiars NXT polish and carnuba wax though, but those swirls are still there!

Last edited by jmw748; 17th March 2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 18th March 2009, 05:49 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

SwirlX is a non abrasive polish. On VAG paint you could polish with an industrial floor polisher and have little effect. If the swirls are that bad you should try a medium to heavy cut compound polish. I recommend Poorboys SSR 2.5 as th medium cut and Menzerna Power gloss as harsher cut. Use the SSR 2.5 first. If neither of those do it after a couple of passes try Megs #85 polish gingerly, be carful (especially with a rotory) with it as it's quite abrasive and will need you to follow up with something like poorboys SSR 1 to remove any hazing or buffer trails.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.