A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 11th February 2014, 12:03 PM

Default A8 D2 PF gearbox oil change?

Hi guys,

I was thinking about gearbox oil change on My PF Audi A8 D2 4.2 Quattro as I think the gearbox is not as smooth as it used to be. Phoned the dealer (Glasgow Audi) and was advised that the total cost is £180 inc VAT for labour and parts. Booked the appointment yesterday. Just got a call back from Audi saying that they've checked with the garage and on this model (4-speed no tiptronic) the unit is sealed and should never require oil change and this is not something they do? Eh? Is that right or they just do not want to touch it?

Phoned a4audi in Clydebank as well and they told me to contact Mackie Transmission. Phoned them and they said it should be £155 on 4 speed auto.

Now, what shall I do?

Advise appreciated!

Cheers,
Tom
Old 11th February 2014, 12:27 PM

See sticky at top the thread:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24

In short, forget the "sealed for life" gag,it needs to be done every 60k (See article on thread) or more frequently and get it booked in with mackies. Several members have used them, they are approved by ZF and the price is v fair considering the price of fluid. They also have the right kit.
Old 11th February 2014, 12:55 PM

Thank you David! Appreciated!
Old 11th February 2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti69 View Post
Thank you David! Appreciated!
As you are Glasgow based, how about the Annual Meet this June? Just up the road from you!
Old 12th February 2014, 09:07 AM

Ha! I got your PM Thanks! Will see how it goes and check my calendar for June. Need to read the PM and check what is actually involved/required!

Being a Scirocco fan (mk1/mk2), there is an International Meet in Poland that I might be attending, need to check if the dates are not very close.
Old 12th February 2014, 11:44 AM

How did Audi Glasgow manage to give a price quote for labour and parts something they don't do. Had mine done a few years ago now and drove a long way to have it done, but after watching wouldn't worry about doing it myself in future if needed. It's only oil and filter change.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 12th February 2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
How did Audi Glasgow manage to give a price quote for labour and parts something they don't do. .
Simple. They are muppets. Poorly trained muppets. And they dont have the entertainment value of Muppets either.

I shall be going in there soon to see if I can blag some gizzits for the annual meet in June - which gti69 might just be attending
Old 21st February 2014, 11:00 AM

Right... the Saga continues!

Booked it for gearbox service at Mackies for today - gave them reg number, year etc, was quoted £155.40. Left the car today in the morning. Was told it will be ready by 2pm. Just received a call from John advising that he never seen such gearbox on Audi before as usually they are 5 speed. Well, I gave them the REG so they should have checked. They took off the sump and apparently cannot get to the oil filer. Extra cost for doing it would be + £260 on top of quoted £155.40 as apparently whey would need to remove the manifolds and cats?! So?! That is just ridiculous. Asked them to put it all back together and top up oil if required. Hopefully they are going to do it in a proper way and do not damage anything / nor leave it with too little oil! I am worried now...
VW SCIROCCO MK1 '78 | ??BHP -LHD
PORSCHE 924 '81
PORSCHE 944 '84
Audi A8 4.2 Quattro PF
Old 21st February 2014, 12:28 PM

Mackies are I think one of a few what I believe to be "A" rated ZF agents in the UK and a few of us on here have used them. Personally, despite the fact they made an error with the type of box in your car, I would have let them finish the service and maybe tried to negotiate on the additional cost. Any other transmission speciaist would presumably cost much the same and may not be as knowlegable on the ZF boxes. However there is another auto box company in Glasgow which I believe was set up by ex Mackies employees.....

http://www.caledoniantrans.com/index.html

you could try them I guess, good luck

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 21st February 2014, 12:39 PM

Thanks Brian.

I was actually told today in the morning about Caledonian, will give them a try. I guess if someone is accredited by ZF then they should be trained on different gearboxes, plus, before quoting for a job, they should have checked the car/gearbox type and quote properly, not changing the terms when the car is on the ramp and realising this gearbox is something they never saw. I would assume a garage should have Autodata like database/software with all different procedures and instructions on how to change this on different cars. Phoned them back and asked how are they going to put it all back now, as if they took the sump off (not completely) they should really fit in a new gasket. I was told/asked - we will do whatever you want us to do? Eh? I just want it to be put back to how it was and to be sure it does not leak anywhere, as it surely was not leaking beforehand.

The extra £260 was quoted on 'umm, it is going to take extra 4hrs to do it as the cats need to be taken off, btw they are welded to the centre section...' ehh they are not as my mate just replaced the centre section for me and it is connected by clamp / bolts.

Not happy with the service at all.

To be honest, I am not trying to sound cheap here, but £415.40 for an oil change in gearbox sounds a bit too much to me.
VW SCIROCCO MK1 '78 | ??BHP -LHD
PORSCHE 924 '81
PORSCHE 944 '84
Audi A8 4.2 Quattro PF