A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Spotless

Spotless For all your cleaning discussions....

Old 1st March 2014, 10:49 PM

Default Whats your wash ritual?

Now ive actually got a nice car (A8 of course) I've become more inclined to clean it and dust off the products ive accumulated over the years.

I like my car clean, but I cant be arsed with the 1000's of products on the shelf these days. I've always used Autoglym products and it works for me, so I tend to stick with them.

Ritual:

- Wash with a sponge and warm very soapy water.
- Hose off
- Autoglym wheel cleaner on the wheels, agitate, then wash off thoroughly
- Microfiber towel dry
- Autoglym glass polish to all windows
- Autoglym wheel seal to all wheels (buff off with microfiber)
- Tyre shine

Once a month run my cheap rotary polisher over it with Autoglym SRP and finish with Harley Wax. Also get the brasso out and do the tail pipes every few washes. I have some Autoglym bumper trim gel but tbh it doesn't look like it needs it on the A8.

Some pics of how it turned out:

I have noticed that in the sunlight she is covered in swirls, which my cheap rotary will not get out. Im sceptical to get a proper polisher for fear of melting paint and stuff though.

Also looking to replace the handwash bit with snowfoam!

So:

- How do you use a proper polisher?
- Is snowfoam THAT good? Will it require me go sponge the car as well or is it a touch free clean?
- I've never clayed a car before either, worth doing??
- How do I get a windscreen where the water just runs off, sick of water marks the day after ive cleaned it!!

INTERIOR

- Thorough vacuum
- Autoglym glass polish on all windows
- Autoglym interior shampoo on all trim, literally wipe over EVERYTHING
- Vacuum mats and put back in
- Crack open a new air fresher

Think ive got the interior cracked tbh!
Old 1st March 2014, 11:41 PM

Your car looks great!

I have been thinking about cleaning a lot.
I read loads of articles/posts on detailing world, its a really good resource.
I too hate 100's of different products.
The main thing I took away from detailing world is that you want to remove as much dirt as possible without scraping it accross the paint.
I think that's why people use snow foam.
I know its a bit OTC, but I try to wash this way:
snow foam, leave for 8mins (i have only used the hose snow foam, need to get the proper snow foam lance for pressure washer)
rinse off with hose/pressure washer
snow foam more briefly, and then with a really good microfibre mitt and 2 buckets use the mitt gently to get the remaining dirt off. One bucket with shampoo, other bucket for rinsing. Some people use 3. 2 for rinsing.
rinse off with hose/pressure washer
dry with microfibre cloths
wax with collinite wax, damn good stuff

wash the mitt in washing machine after every wash.

I have also tried hand polishing using gtechniq P1, and a german hand polishing pad.
Its really hard work, but does make a difference. You would have to clay first before polishing so you dont grind the tar deposits etc into the paint. Claying is easy and fun.

Last edited by Goran; 1st March 2014 at 11:46 PM.
Old 2nd March 2014, 12:04 AM

2/3 buckets what the... LOL I only ever use one!

Think I need to start claying then lol
Old 2nd March 2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
2/3 buckets what the... LOL I only ever use one!

Think I need to start claying then lol
and I hope that your buckets have grit guards in the bottom!
Heres mine after a good deep cleanse -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2519.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	570.5 KB
ID:	7451   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2524.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	596.9 KB
ID:	7452   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2547.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	630.3 KB
ID:	7453  

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 2nd March 2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old 2nd March 2014, 01:02 AM

Your routine is better than most, but yes to 2 buckets. Although I use them, I doubt the real beenfit of grit guards.

The big thing I spot is using a sponge - sponges hold dirt and grit on the surface, so you are scratching away at your paint with a sponge. Ditch the sponges and replace with a lambs wool wash mitt. (i hand wash mine rather than machine wash). Those swirls you mention, that's mostly the work of sponges and leathers. It will only cover over the problem, but Poorboys Blackhole is a good 'filler' for your colour, but taking it to a pro for a MOP is better.

Wheels - I use Bilberry wheel cleaner as it's very gentle. From memory the Autoglym one is pretty acidic, no doubt it makes your eyes sting if you get in the way of a mist spray?

I don't clay because (a) it's a job I really dislike and (b) if you get it wrong you can actually introduce marring on the paint so I leave the claying to the pros

Iron X is a very good product for removing iron fallout/metal contaminants from your paintwork.

Ther than that, R1NE or Autosmart G101 are good all rounder products
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Last edited by sarg; 2nd March 2014 at 01:05 AM.
Old 2nd March 2014, 06:41 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Two buckets are a must. Otherwise, half way through, you're washing the car with dirty, gritty water.

My routine for just a wash:

Low pressure, non-contact rinse with the pressure washer not pumping
Snow foam, the leave for 5 minutes
Wash (2 buckets and grit guard) with a lambs wool mit
Rinse with pressure washer (with the 'car' nozzle)
Open doors, boot, bonnet, petrol flap and clean sills etc with a microfibe cloth
Towel dry with large microfibre towel
Wash wheels (they have been snowfoamed too) with a third bucket (wheels are too dirty to share a bucket with the paintwork)
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).

Last edited by The_Laird; 2nd March 2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 2nd March 2014, 08:02 AM

I snow foam our cars after blasting off the worst with plain water.

I always start with washing the wheels though, as it can splash onto the bodywork and even using PH neutral stuff it can take a layer of protection off your paint if you leave it on the car too long

After snow foam will hand wash with a lambs wool mitt and dry off with a towel

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 2nd March 2014, 08:38 AM

Sponges should only be used for backs of wheels and calipers,I use a lambs wool mit on the paint work
I use meguiars polishes and clay bar,I find autoglym polishes are too dusty,but I love all the other autoglym products especially extra gloss protection
I only use one bucket,but have been told many times you need two with grit guards ?
I agree with The_Laird all door checks,bonnet,boot areas etc must be done,pressure washers should only be used for removing thick dirt but standing well away from the car with the lance
I worked for Neville Wood who owns Pickwick Performance now in Scotland,we used to be in St Helen's and then Evenwood County Durham and we always made sure the cars were immaculately presented
I can spend all day on my car just tinkering with it when cleaning,they cost plenty so need to be looked fter,must be washed every week in the winter months and waxed regularly in the summer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	7455  
Old 2nd March 2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
must be washed every week in the winter months and waxed regularly in the summer
I prefer to think that dirt layer protects paintwork from ultraviolet rays so it gets washed twice a year. Once in the spring to get rid of winter salt and second time half year later.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 16th March 2014, 09:38 PM

Heard some good stuff about poorboys black hole. Gonna gets me some got a week off soon gonna have a massive detail on the car.

what shampoo do peeps use?