Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2068.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	20066  

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 5th September 2018, 05:56 PM

Thanks Johannes. It's presumably that big white pulley that has broken.

When I come to swap the frame over do I start with the window glass up or down or in between? At the moment I can move it so I'll get it to the best position before starting work (though that won't be for a few days).

I presume it's necessary to remove the frame first, then take the glass off it, fit to the new frame and refit everything.
Sounds so simple...……..
(Must remember to get a load of clips for refixing the trim, hopefully A8parts will have some)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 5th September 2018, 06:39 PM

I am actually not sure what position will be better.
I removed and refitted it with the window closed, and that made the whole frame easy to handle.
You can connect the wires while the frame is off and lower/raise the window.
Have a look at these photos and see what you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I presume it's necessary to remove the frame first, then take the glass off it, fit to the new frame and refit everything.
That is correct
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1649.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	20067   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1650.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	20068  

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98

Last edited by Regulus; 5th September 2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 5th September 2018, 06:47 PM

Thanks Johannes.

How does the glass come out, is it just one bolt securing that black support to the mechanism, then slide down?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 5th September 2018, 06:55 PM

Yes there is only a plug with a clip, and one guide on each side in the window itself.
Mind the wire going to the door lock though. I struggled fitting that again.
Try to leave it in the door lock mechanism, and remove it in the end where you found the black thingie

Edit: Lower the window fully and remove half the holder in the bottom, to get the window out. The holder is 2-parts, one on the inside, and one on the outside. Then wiggle the glass out
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1648.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	20069   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1646.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	20070  

Johannes
_________
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98

Last edited by Regulus; 5th September 2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 5th September 2018, 07:14 PM

When the frame is fitted to the door again. You will probably have to adjust the window a bit to get it to close properly. Adjust it in the bottom where the black support is

Johannes
_________
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 6th September 2018, 11:02 AM

Thanks Johannes, presumably it's easier to do that adjustment before fitting the frame back on the door?

Just had a nice chat to Maria at A8Parts and ordered the necessary, plus a couple of little items I've been thinking of for a while.
Too big for overnight delivery so should arrive Monday, at least my weekend will NOT be spent working on the S8.
Old 6th September 2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks Johannes, presumably it's easier to do that adjustment before fitting the frame back on the door?
I would believe it is easier to adjust with the frame back on the door.

Maria at 8parts is great
I am in the process of ordering some items as well, from a breaker here in Sweden. But they do not have all the parts I need. So I will be making an order from 8parts as well, looks like

Johannes
_________
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 7th September 2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Too big for overnight delivery so should arrive Monday, at least my weekend will NOT be spent working on the S8.
Or maybe it will.
Definitely shipped as a "48-hour Large" item and collected yesterday.
BUT it's made it to my local depot overnight and is now out for delivery, expected about 2pm this afternoon.

Edit: Arrived safely. Courier was very surprised how light it was when I explained it was a large section of a car door, made of aluminium.

Last edited by HPsauce; 7th September 2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10th September 2018, 01:52 AM

Dont forget to lubricate the runner slots as well as the window channels Andrew, makes a huge difference to window load/speed

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)