A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Trims

D3 - Interior Trims Seats, dashboards, plastics, everything inside the cabin

Old 25th September 2018, 11:09 PM

Default Rear Sun Shade / Blind Clips

Hi folks,

Long time no post. Apologies for that but things have just been so busy with work / kids / D2 & D3 upkeep to have had the luxury of then writing about all the repairs and upkeep jobs. If I ever do get the time, I'd love in particular to put a post together about my
full timing chains / tensioners / cam adjusters replacement on the 4.2 FSI . . . . Very satisfying job and 30k miles done since

Anyway, just a quick one for you all - pleased to confirm that my £7.98 gamble on a pair of these rear blind clips paid off - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E60-E...-/322027480005

They fit our D3's !

Definitely not the world's best quality but they fit, they do work and they are cheap. And I was having no luck finding the billet aluminium ones everyone seems to recommend so these were better than nothing.

I only had to use the smaller piece and actually it was seemingly impossible to remove the larger piece from the arm anyway so I just did the reattaching job in situ. Drilled out old securing piece and then used a pop rivet squeezed up just enough to hold the thing in
place but still allow the required movement. A couple of light squeezes was all that was required.

The small screw at the back of the top of the blind assembly which holds the whole end piece with rubber wheel on to the main blind assembly is a torx-6, btw. Do not completely remove this from the roller housing.
No need and it is likely to just fall down into the blind recess. (Mine didn't but ask me where my small torx-6 tool now lives . . . .)

Anyway, hope this is of help to someone now or in the future.

Cheers,

Gregor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180925_225121.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	20117   Click image for larger version

Name:	sun blind clips d3 bmw.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	20118  

2009 A8 4.2 FSi LWB - Marine Blue - 164k miles. Extras? Too many to list. But I do like the Rear Seat Entertainment . . . . . .

477k miles to the moon and back. 238k to go and between them they'll have made it!