A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Cars

For Sale and Wanted - Cars For the sale of whole cars, Audi or not, working or not. No cross links to other peoples cars please - Use Spotted online instead

Old 26th April 2018, 10:08 AM

Default Toyota Hilux Surf 1996 SSR-G Intercooled 3.0 3rd Gen For Sale 3500

I've owned this Surf since 2010 and was previously owned by a respected Surf forum member. It had been well looked-after and I bought the Surf with 182,000kms on the clock. The truck is officially a KNZ-185 model and was imported from Japan to the UK in 2003 by the forum member. These were also sold in big numbers in the USA where they were badged as a 4Runner and they only got the 3.4 petrol V6.

It's now on 355,000kms, regularly serviced (oil, filters, coolant, diff oil (both diffs), gearbox oil) and runs perfectly. These trucks have a Lexus gearbox and the engines are good forever - I use it every day but I am doing less mountain biking and more and more commuting (the mileage has come from regular commutes from Nottingham to Coventry and Halifax) and I need something more economical and better-suited to motorway bashing.

This has the 3.0 1KZ-TE engine, and does ~25mpg locally and 30 on the motorway, more if you keep it legal (I suspect). The intercooler is the one to have. SSR-G means two batteries and drop-down mirror in the rear spoiler. The tailgate glass can be raised/lowered by turning the key in the tailgate lock.

Since acquiring the Surf I've done the following:
New Cylinder head, radiator, thermostat and added transmission cooler, installed by the Surf-community legend that is Tony N in 2016, never gets hot and has performed faultlessly since.
Cambelt done
Steering rack bushes done
Bilstein B6 shocks with RT heavy duty springs
Bespoke full turbo-back stainless twin exhaust by JAC Exhausts
Projector headlamps (in new clear-lens 2000 model lamps from Japan)
Twin batteries
Clear front indicators
New rear bumper steels (old one was corroded) - all genuine Toyota parts
Front bumper resprayed when bull bar was removed last year.
Additional 12v socket in dash and two in rear side panel.
2000 model grille (Japan again)
Toad Sterling CAT1 alarm with remote central locking
LED rear lights and 3rd brake lamp (new from Japan via Noppin)
Lexus IS200 front seats (heated) drivers is electric
Dinitrol underseal with transferable 5-year warranty in 2016 (new diff breather)
New brake lines
New rear heater pipes
17" Berg Conquest split-rim alloys on H&R spacers with locking nuts - refurbed in 2016, some small lacquer peel but that's the salted roads for you.
2-DIN Pioneer FH-X840DAB Bluetooth head unit with USB and CD.
Sony Amp under passenger seat
Powered flat sub in rear.
Blaupunkt component speakers in front and 3-way in rear
Tyres are Uniroyal RainExpert 3 265/65 R17 112 H FR, SUV all-round and less than 5 months old
4WD works
Aircon blows cold
That thing on the back wheel is a bike carrier which are two bolt-ended metal arms which replace two spare wheel studs. This makes carrying more bikes a doddle. I have wrapped the arms in foam pipe lagging to stop the arms scratching the bikes. I can remove this if you want, or remember it's there when you reverse

* MOT expires 10th July 2018 *

What bits don't work (car is now 22 years old):
Rear washer jet has never worked. Wiper works fine.
Some of the dash and heater bulbs are out. Fellow Surf-enthusiast Popeye did me a refurbed heater panel but half of the bulbs are dead in it now - this doesn't hinder it working at all.
Bit of lacquer peel on roof
Some light scratches on glovebox lid where #1 son put his football studs against it. I think they call it "Patina"?
Projector lamps don't give a blue "Main beam" light on dash - they don't have the wiring
A few small stone chips to front end and arches, the cost of doing 500 miles every week up and down the M1.
Kink in rear bumper plastic top where a previous owner has closed the swingarm on something - purely cosmetic
Some of the adhesive which holds the wind deflectors on had perished, so I used Gorilla glue which definitely does the job but if you are OCD you could paint the adhesive black...

Um.. Nothing else I can think of. It's a very honest description, the truck is very clean for it's age and I think this is a fair price. I am using it every day and wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. I need to transfer the plate to the A8, it will go back to an N-plate.

I am in Nottingham, 2 mins from M1 J26.

*** CASH ON COLLECTION PLEASE ***

Hires Pics

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	surf.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	618.5 KB
ID:	18599  

Last edited by J i m s t e r; 26th April 2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 26th April 2018, 11:39 AM

Wow! That looks stunning for a '96. I like that styling as I used to see loads of them when I was living in NZ.

BTW Although I can see your post on the Surf forum, the images show as links, but when clicked on come up with 'Invalid File Specified'.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:L--- Suzuka Grey, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers
Old 26th April 2018, 01:02 PM

Thanks Steamship. I'll get the pics hosted here, the Surf site was recently re-platformed and there are some server-side issues that still seem to need ironing out by their site admin.
Old 27th April 2018, 12:51 PM

What a beautiful Surf - I saw and rode in lots of these while growing up on Borneo island and secretly always wanted one.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 15th May 2018, 03:09 PM

Provisionally sold.