A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 21st December 2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
I don't know... Here (http://www.raintracker.com/rt_more_info.php) it looks awful IMHO.

How about transplanting this system from another model of Audi? D2's mirror isn't attached to windshield, so perhaps it helps.
I think you must be confused as to the size. Sensor is about the third the size of a business card.
Old 21st December 2012, 02:16 PM

If it's 1/3 of business card, can it be placed within the darker band of windscreen right behind rear view mirror?
Old 21st December 2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
If it's 1/3 of business card, can it be placed within the darker band of windscreen right behind rear view mirror?
Good question. I note from their drawings and picture that its positioned below the tinted/shaded area of the screen. That may indicate that the IR sensor may not work so well in the tinted area due to absorption. My screen has a very dark band about 30 - 40mm in width but below that its clear and if mounted in that area its around the same height as the mirror and, would be perfectly acceptable. Its a question worth raising with the company.
Old 11th May 2013, 09:38 PM

I have this installed now. I'll provide pics and wiring info in the near term. I installed the sensor at the base of the windshield. It's out of the field of vision when driving, and looks OEM or near so. I positioned it such that the wiring connector looks about like your standard VW/Audi wiring cover. I've thought about blacking out the windshield around where it's mounted in a nod to OE goodness but haven't done so yet. I've had a number of people ride in the car since install and no questions as yet.

I have the on/off switch run into the console and to the trim where phone prep items are in the console cubby. I also have an OEM A4 AUX-In radio connector there.

I can't speak to whether the rain sensing portion works well yet, seemed to in tests with a hose, but haven't gotten any rain recently. I do know the auto-lamps work well. At dusk they start to operate without any effort. I have it so that I can override and use only park lamps as well with the lamp stalk and without disabling rain tracker.
Old 12th May 2013, 11:20 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71camaro View Post

I can't speak to whether the rain sensing portion works well yet, seemed to in tests with a hose, but haven't gotten any rain recently.
Jeez, you could test them here, no problem! It's forgotten how to stop raining.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 12th May 2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71camaro View Post
I can't speak to whether the rain sensing portion works well yet, seemed to in tests with a hose, but haven't gotten any rain recently. .
I had to read that twice! before I realised that there are places like that.

Look forward to seeing the write up.