A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 26th April 2020, 08:12 PM

Default Fuel pump replacement as easy as this person makes it out to be in this video?

Is it this easy to do? My fuel pump hasn't failed yet but I have no record of it ever being replaced before. So I'm replacing mine do to the age and milage of the car. I rather be safe then sorry and broken down on the side of the road.
Old 27th April 2020, 08:14 AM

It really is that easy, the difficult bit is the bit missed in the video, the extraction isn't too bad but getting it back in i found wasn't quite as easy as, bang done. There is a bit missing from that video, twice 10:22 where he thinks he videoed that but... and then will show the installation but also forgets that bit 24:38 it just magically appears with a click of a torch.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 27th April 2020, 12:04 PM

Definitely read the guide in the D2 tech dump. The youtube video skipped a few steps.
I am planning to do this too after this lockdown ends.
Its not the removal that worries me, its putting it back that's going to be tricky.
Trying to slot in that jet pump hose when you can't see it, that's going to be a lot of fun.
Also, the other part which worries me most is the captive nut. If that breaks off in the bottom of the tank that's going to turn the job into a nightmare.

Who ever designed this must have been insane. At least they could have used some metal parts to prevent brittle plastic breaking in the future.
Old 27th April 2020, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the info. I didn't think it was as easy as the person makes it out to be. I had a feeling there were a couple of steps missing. I'm guessing it's best to buy a inspection camera similar to this to help with reinstalling the fuel delivery unit?
Old 27th April 2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Who ever designed this must have been insane. At least they could have used some metal parts to prevent brittle plastic breaking in the future.
No not insane, stupid is a better way describing the person who design this fuel delivery system.

Last edited by Audifan; 27th April 2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old 28th April 2020, 01:47 PM

Here are my notes on the fuel pump replacement:
http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....7&postcount=33
Just download the pdf

Here is the entire thread:
http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15549

Yes, getting the housing reseated requires patience and a delicate touch. Follow the procedure in the D2 tech dump. The last little twist required a firm hand. Once that twist had happened I could lower the housing the 40mm described in the D2 tech dump document. Don't force anything, and as Marty points out in the thread, DO NOT tighten the long bolt too much. If it strips down below, you are in a lot of trouble.

If I did this over again I would lay rags down everywhere near the opening in the opening at the top of the petrol tank when you remove the housing from it. Even with a bucket handy, I still spilled some fuel upon removal and that affected the rubbery noise deadening material(?) in the boot.

I watched the video you linked to several times before doing this job. I did not find things as easy as this guy makes out, but his video was DEFINITELY helpful. Thanks George!

Last edited by C4R 100N; 28th April 2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 28th April 2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan View Post
Thanks for the info. I didn't think it was as easy as the person makes it out to be. I had a feeling there were a couple of steps missing. I'm guessing it's best to buy a inspection camera similar to this to help with reinstalling the fuel delivery unit?
Thanks for the video. It is really useful to see how the housing looks even if he skipped a few steps. Great idea about the keyhole camera, I think
i have a old one of those somewhere, I’ll definitely be using it for this job.
Old 28th April 2020, 11:51 PM

Welcome. I will dive into replacing the fuel pump once I buy myself a inspection camera. I will for sure to be very careful with that long bolt. Can this job be completed in one day?
Old 29th April 2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan View Post
Welcome. I will dive into replacing the fuel pump once I buy myself a inspection camera. I will for sure to be very careful with that long bolt. Can this job be completed in one day?
Start early and it should be entirely possible to do in a day. Probably depends on how prepared you are and if you encounter any difficulties in removing the housing from the tank. My car was parked outside and I was delayed by rain for a while when I started the job.

If you read the PDF I posted you will see that I had to improvise and fashion a tool to loosen the sender housing. I was expecting to be able to use the long nose pliers handle (as per the video you posted) to loosen the fuel gauge sender housing but it did not work for me. That cost an hour or so...

Also, I tend to be slow and take my time. I advise not rushing due to the age of the plastic. That housing is very expensive to relpace.
Old 17th May 2020, 08:11 PM

Fuel sender cap help. I'm trying to start on doing the fuel pump replacement and I don't have the special tool to remove the fuel sender cap or have a way to make my own tool. I'm trying the pliers method that is talked about in the video that I posted here earlier. I can't get the fuel sender cap to move at all. I can't get good enough force to push down and turn at the same time. Anyone have a better idea on how to get this cap to turn?