A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 1st October 2020, 04:58 PM

But they need a good thrashing every now and again otherwise things like the F125 switch and calipers seem to object to idleness. SWMBO does mention SORN word every now and again but I try to rationalise that its cheaper than playing golf. Took mine out today and it purred along. The gearbox was serviced at Mackies* a few weeks back and seems nice and smooth.
(*5HP24 service is now £175+VAT)
Old 1st October 2020, 05:35 PM

I have learned that paying the road tax and taking them for a thrash now and again is considerably more cost effective than fixing the stuff that breaks when they get bored!
Old 1st October 2020, 05:44 PM

What do you think I did with it immediately before logging on to SORN it?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 1st October 2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I have learned that paying the road tax and taking them for a thrash now and again is considerably more cost effective than fixing the stuff that breaks when they get bored!
+1. And six months is waay too long to leave them without running. Even when my Coupe was SORNed over winter, I'd still take it for an occasional run

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 2nd October 2020, 02:36 PM

What is SORN?
1992 Corrado
2001 S8
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
Old 2nd October 2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
What is SORN?
It stands for 'Statutory Off Road Notification'. What it basically means is that we in the UK can take our car off the road (SORN) and don't have to pay the VED (Vehicle Excise Duty, commonly called 'Road Tax' here). We would SORN a car if it won't be used for several months, say over the winter months, or as is happening now with all the lockdowns. We still have to keep the vehicle insured though.

Every little bit helps in saving a few pounds. My VED costs £325 a year and that's for a 3.7. The 5.2 D3 S8 I used to have costs £580 a year.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 2nd October 2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
What is SORN?
Thanks for asking that. I didn't know either.

Sadly mine are also off the road since spring. I SORN´d my car only a month ago. When I realised that I have no idea when I might have it back in one piece

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 3rd October 2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
We still have to keep the vehicle insured though.
It's not a legal requirement to have it insured but you may want to keep it insured in case of fire, theft etc

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 3rd October 2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
It's not a legal requirement to have it insured but you may want to keep it insured in case of fire, theft etc
Another learning day at school. Since my return to the UK in 2012, I was led to believe by my insurance company that you needed to have your car insured at all times, as part of the 'continuous insurance enforcement' introduced in 2011, so never questioned it.

On the other hand, as you say, probably best to keep it insured in case of any mishaps.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 13th November 2020, 12:06 PM

Just following up on CIE, it says here https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/uninsured-vehicles that you don't need to if the vehicle is SORN'ed.
Quote:
You must have motor insurance for your vehicle if you use it on roads and in public places.

You do not need to insure your vehicle if it is kept off the road and declared as off the road (SORN).
Having not even started mine for a while I decided today to see if the AA large solar panel had been doing it's job and keeping the battery alive.
It started fine so I went back and forth on the drive a few times to check it all moved OK then ran the engine up to normal temperature.
It was nice and sunny so I sat in the Recaro and relaxed while testing the sound system with Led Zeppelin at an "appropriate" volume...….

I did a quick test on the panel and it's putting out a small current but at 20v so should be doing something.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 13th November 2020 at 12:12 PM.