A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 23rd August 2021, 11:06 AM

Default Could this be the definitive stereo/ Nav upgrade?

I have been pondering on an upgrade to the current RNS-D offering in the D2 and happened upon this as a solution:

https://www.kenwood.eu/car/navigatio...ia/DMX9720XDS/

Chap on Youtube: https://youtu.be/b5N0rzlwcJM

It is a 'floating' screen akin to the modern way of doing things. Just looking for opinions from the forum.

One thing I did like is you can customise the buttons to have the same backlighting as the rest of the car through an RGB interface.

I did look at the Alpine unit but the lack of a volume knob and the white backlighting has put me off. https://youtu.be/LDnUZm_l7X4

What say you all?
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 23rd August 2021, 12:03 PM

Its an impressive piece of kit, but unfortunately far too tall for the D2 dash at 262wx181h, and would obscure all of the upper switches and the top of the hvac controls

Even if the top switches were relocated you'd still lose seat heaters, windscreen demist and recirculate from the hvac.

Something similar with an 8" screen would probably be doable. As you noticed though, the Kenwood seems to be the only one with a proper volume button which is so annoying. Also, none of the other vendors of these floating screen units appear to be inclined to show dimensions of the actual panel so its hard to determine what would and wouldn't work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kenwood1.jpg
Views:	954
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	27044   Click image for larger version

Name:	kenwood2.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	27045  
Old 23rd August 2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Its an impressive piece of kit, but unfortunately far too tall for the D2 dash at 262wx181h, and would obscure all of the upper switches and the top of the hvac controls

Even if the top switches were relocated you'd still lose seat heaters, windscreen demist and recirculate from the hvac.

Something similar with an 8" screen would probably be doable. As you noticed though, the Kenwood seems to be the only one with a proper volume button which is so annoying. Also, none of the other vendors of these floating screen units appear to be inclined to show dimensions of the actual panel so its hard to determine what would and wouldn't work.
Ah! Never thought to consider the switchear across the top row....... Just thought the dash had the 'presence' to carry the design.
Old 24th August 2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummagnet View Post
I have been pondering on an upgrade to the current RNS-D offering in the D2 and happened upon this as a solution:

https://www.kenwood.eu/car/navigatio...ia/DMX9720XDS/

Chap on Youtube: https://youtu.be/b5N0rzlwcJM

It is a 'floating' screen akin to the modern way of doing things. Just looking for opinions from the forum.

One thing I did like is you can customise the buttons to have the same backlighting as the rest of the car through an RGB interface.

I did look at the Alpine unit but the lack of a volume knob and the white backlighting has put me off. https://youtu.be/LDnUZm_l7X4

What say you all?
.....Think I've just found the head unit for the mk2 campervan build (once late model Mercedes Sprinter prices return to 'normal service')...

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 24th August 2021, 12:08 PM

Would have been perfect for the Mrs XC90. I've got the DMX7(something) model in there just now, which does the job very well for Android Auto and CarPlay, with a decent sound. It's a standard Double-DIN size, so should drop into the '8 easily.

I know.. I know..

Old 24th August 2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post

Well then I thought the Alpine iLX-903:

https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/...View/ilx-f903d

might be worth a compromise. No control knob for volume but I found in the manual that you can change the button colour background and turn the white backlighting off, though whether the button background colour is an 'Audi red' remains to be seen.

Im just getting 'hung up' on the floating dash design.

Its a shame the vertical adjustment isnt motorised eh MJ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210823_134307.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	27066  

Last edited by strummagnet; 24th August 2021 at 12:33 PM.
Old 24th August 2021, 01:33 PM

Also a fairly impressive machine, although a shame it doesn't have a high definition screen like the Kenwood. Given the amazing displays available for phones and tablets I remain disappointed that most of the car audio manufacturers are still using 480p

At least the Alpine has a mute button to make up for no volume knob, although are they actually buttons? "touch-responsive hard-keys" implies they're just sensors, not actual switches.

Floating displays are a reasonable way to get more real estate than a simple double-din, but most of them seem to assume there is nothing else important around the head unit and no one seems interested in a wide-format version, which is the one dimension in which we have plenty of room

BTW I tried last year to make my own head unit based on off the shelf HD touch screens and a Raspberry Pi. The hardware is simple, but alas the software support is rubbish and has nothing like the polish of a mainstream head unit, and because the Pi doesn't have any form of power control getting it to power up and down is messy, complicated and slow.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 24th August 2021 at 01:38 PM.
Old 24th August 2021, 04:49 PM

I'm pretty happy with the joying 9" i have in mine, whats bugging me most s the location, when you lose nav instructions in the cluster i really find the stock HU position way too low

I have an idea for a replacement with a screen above the vents. Just pondering what i put where the HU normally sits
Old 24th August 2021, 05:12 PM

Single din swap with a phone cubby? Not that single din parts are particularly easy to find now.

I was looking at an MMI swap with the screen popping out of the top using D3 bits, maybe an A3 control panel in the dash, but given how troublesome that mechanism seems to be, plus the headache of component protection, its looking less appealing.
Old 24th August 2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markiii View Post
I have an idea for a replacement with a screen above the vents. Just pondering what i put where the HU normally sits
Cool box for a picnic?

or

Subwoofer?