A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Other marques

Other marques All non Audi other cars

Old 7th September 2021, 09:56 PM

Congrats Airnis. Great colour too

I know of another ex Model S owner who changed to a Porsche Taycan. He is most unhappy to discover that amongst other things it does not have over the air updates. I guess that having had something that just works. you kind of take it for granted as how everyone will do things. Not a happy bunny.
Old 8th September 2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
I guess that having had something that just works. you kind of take it for granted as how everyone will do things.
Perfectly put. Tesla design their cars from the ground up, in a very simple and integrated way. Up till now that's just not happened with others - all VW IDs are a nightmare for being clunky and buggy (& e-trons too), though I'm disappointed to hear that Porsche seem to have fallen foul of this too.

Interestingly, Porsche were supposed to bring a Taycan to a NW EV car meet near me at the weekend, but failed to show - something that Audi have been guilty of in the past around here too. Leaving Tesla a clear field to convert people

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 8th September 2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post

I can't recall ever having a car for 2 years in my life..... !
Nope

(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 18th September 2021, 09:31 AM

Hmm.. Tesla Supercharger in Kaunas, Lithuania on Tesla website is showing as coming soon, opening date to be confirmed but on A Better Route Planner it is already live. When I checked couple of weeks ago it was not on ABRP. If it is live then it means I could actually make it to Latvia just on Tesla Superchargers 'filling up' for free, at least theoretically. It is a long stint from Warszaw to Kaunas and it shows max driving speed 70km/h to make it but I can always make a short stop at 3rd party CCS supercharger between two to top up a bit for couple of EUR.

We are planning to go there for Christmas (travel rules and Covid restrictions permitting) and have booked ferry from Harwich to Holland and back already just cannot decide wether to risk Tesla or use Q7. Would need to get winter tyres for Tesla (already have a 2nd winter set for Q7) and a spare wheel. Plenty 50kW CCS/Chademo chargers in Latvia to get around locally, there is one about 100 meters from my destination in Latvia. Strangely they are charging per minute not kW, it's 0.15 EUR/min

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 18th September 2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Hmm.. Tesla Supercharger in Kaunas, Lithuania on Tesla website is showing as coming soon, opening date to be confirmed but on A Better Route Planner it is already live. When I checked couple of weeks ago it was not on ABRP. If it is live then it means I could actually make it to Latvia just on Tesla Superchargers 'filling up' for free, at least theoretically. It is a long stint from Warszaw to Kaunas and it shows max driving speed 70km/h to make it but I can always make a short stop at 3rd party CCS supercharger between two to top up a bit for couple of EUR.

We are planning to go there for Christmas (travel rules and Covid restrictions permitting) and have booked ferry from Harwich to Holland and back already just cannot decide wether to risk Tesla or use Q7. Would need to get winter tyres for Tesla (already have a 2nd winter set for Q7) and a spare wheel. Plenty 50kW CCS/Chademo chargers in Latvia to get around locally, there is one about 100 meters from my destination in Latvia. Strangely they are charging per minute not kW, it's 0.15 EUR/min
Kaunas would be good, we usually stop around there overnight on the way up to Estonia

Not sure how recently you've done the drive. We last went in 2019, the roads east of Warsaw had improved massively. New bits of motorway near the border too
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 18th September 2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post

"Coming soon" could mean anything (historically...) for Tesla supercharger opening but is much more reliable now. I'm not sure if you have a Chademo adapter for yours - I do, though it's pretty much surplus to requirements for me since I bought the CCS adapter for mine about a year ago. I also may have a (mint) set of five 19" winter rims, shod with PA4s, each with about 6-7mms each available shortly.

Old 19th September 2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
"Coming soon" could mean anything (historically...) for Tesla supercharger opening but is much more reliable now.
It's been coming soon since 2016. I just found it interesting that couple weeks ago it was not on ABRP but now it is. Bit more digging and it appears to be open, Tesla just have not updated their website yet. I found some construction pictures from August, a post on 16/09/21 saying it's finally open and pictures from 18/09/21. There are also 2 'coming soon' in Latvia and 1 in Estonia.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/335172

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210919-102626.png
Views:	430
Size:	943.8 KB
ID:	27227  

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 19th September 2021 at 10:18 AM.
Old 20th September 2021, 11:41 AM

Modified Tesla 3 Performance driven round the Nurburgring by a pro, with the owner in the passenger seat. Well worth a click

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-LI_jeytBI

The same channel also has some laps with the Polestar 2 Performance which is equally impressive, and made in China!

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 20th September 2021 at 11:44 AM.
Old 24th September 2021, 01:21 PM

Kaunas supercharger was officially live on Tesla website since Monday.

Quote:
Not sure how recently you've done the drive. We last went in 2019, the roads east of Warsaw had improved massively. New bits of motorway near the border too
I went there last summer July/August in D3

Quote:
I'm not sure if you have a Chademo adapter for yours
No I don't and considering the price of adapter (£400+) and availability of other connectors no reason to have one. I have CCS upgrade and most public chargers in Europe seem to be dual connector 50kW CCS/50kW Chademo or triple with extra 43kW Type 2.

Quote:
I also may have a (mint) set of five 19" winter rims, shod with PA4s, each with about 6-7mms each available shortly
Mint sounds expensive but considering you get tyres at good prices maybe maybe they can fit my budget.

8 history:
Old 24th September 2021, 01:24 PM

Found some workshop manuals, theory of operation and wiring diagrams for Model S, reading theory of operation now. The link is not my upload but I have downloaded them and if the link goes dead I can upload them somewhere again.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...9BE78E9B5A6728

8 history: