A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Motormouth

Motormouth Everything, and anything else motoring related that just doesnt belong anywhere else

Old 1st October 2021, 07:33 AM

Spent some time working in and driving about Germany in my late teens....in a two tone Toyota Tercel estate (remember those?!)...with the white steel rims too

I left sunny NI with a GB sticker on the boot lid and headed off to Germany. Within 2 days of arrival I was pulled over by the friendly Polizei. On discovering I had a Northern Irish driving licence it was suggested that I remove said 'offensive' sticker from my car.

Turned out I was working in a part of western Germany flattened by the RAF during WWII and anti-GB feeling was still running high in the early 90's.

Switched my 'profile' to Irish/Northern Irish....which included an 'IRL' sticker sent over in the post from back home......applied to car and never had another moment of trouble for 3 months.

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 1st October 2021, 12:46 PM

Strange.
I have driven consistantly in Germany since 1958 and with a GB sticker permanently attached

No problem until the IRA situation when we had to stop using British Registrations and start using German ones.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 1st October 2021, 01:42 PM

On a similar (but anti-German...) vein, I remember my French teacher telling us that the boys sometimes had to remove their blazers on school trips to France, Belgium and Holland in the '50s and even into the '60s, as it reminded the locals of the Nazi eagle* from WW2.

Memories die hard sometimes.

(*revived by Trump recently....)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gonzaga School Eagle.jpeg
Views:	328
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	27248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nazi Eagle.jpeg
Views:	324
Size:	440.5 KB
ID:	27249  

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 1st October 2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post

Memories die hard sometimes.
Some people never let go of the bad ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Strange.
I have driven consistantly in Germany since 1958 and with a GB sticker permanently attached

No problem until the IRA situation when we had to stop using British Registrations and start using German ones.
I agree. Being based over there and travelling throughout West Germany in the 80's - with a GB sticker, never had an issue with any locals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiseuk View Post

I left sunny NI with a GB sticker on the boot lid and headed off to Germany. Within 2 days of arrival I was pulled over by the friendly Polizei. On discovering I had a Northern Irish driving licence it was suggested that I remove said 'offensive' sticker from my car.
Unfortunately you can find bigots in all places if you look hard enough. Anyway I enjoy the stickers on the rear of my cars, especially the BMW one as I can get through town quicker! https://youtu.be/XKH5Gd92k74
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!